Coral ID

lant

Market
Reaction score
I got this as a brown stub about 1.5 years ago. It was suppose to be something cool that browned out. Now I've completely forgot what the LFS told me it was. If I remember correctly, it was John Fox something. It's changed colors 3 times already and grows pretty fast. This is the latest color morph after I moved systems.

Coral looks kinda bleached in pic, but in real life, it's a yellowish blue. Very light color with purple iridescence. It's still growing too even with a lot of abuse lately.

Probably a Jason Fox and not sure exactly which, but it's a great piece and I'd love to buy a frag from you if you ever make it up this way! Looks a little pearlberry ish but so many do...
Very nice growth!

Thanks man! Yea, Jason Fox something. I have a bunch of pieces broken off sliding around on the bottom right now. Let me see if any of them are frag worthy. You know I stop by nemo's every week so meeting up shouldn't be a problem.

I think Pearlberry is ORA, so even if Jason Fox sold it it wouldn't be called a "Jason Fox Pearlberry", since it's not his coral/lineage is not traced back to him.

Not that I really care about lineage, just saying that if it was called a "Jason Fox ______", then it's probably not a Pearlberry.

Jason has a few corals named berry which just look like a slightly more tripped out pearlberry :D

For people that have sticks that certainly doesn't look bleached to me! What ever it is, good job growing that out it looks fantastic!

It's an Acropora sp.

The designer name is irrelevant unless you're trying to over-price it ;)

Jenn

JennM;973174 wrote: It's an Acropora sp.

Jenn

Maybe if LFS would start carrying this type of piece the prices could be more reasonable too. As is, the only way to get true exotic sps is to buy online. Every now and then Rit will frag a piece of his cranberry plana or something but it's just not available. So to that -- and overprice with name -- I'll say it's all supply in demand. We're demanding it, locals aren't supplying it, so we're paying it. And I guess if we're paying it, it's not so unreasonable. :)

JennM;973174 wrote: It's an Acropora sp.

Jenn

I was trying to get a couple g's for this thing....can someone ID as a Platinum Dragon already?

Back