Coral ID?

tcampbell23

Market
Reaction score
88dc0d9dedf44b973606f83ec640fd96.jpg
alt="" />

When I got it, I thought it was just a frogspawn that had somehow lost its color but even in my tank for a month it's the same whitish color so now I have no idea what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say it's a bleached out hammer coral that has lost its zooxanthella, color might not come back at all.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1075074 wrote: I would say it's a bleached out hammer coral that has lost its zooxanthella, color might not come back at all.

So should I feed it to make sure it grows?

That coral does not require feeding just light, it would be fine pulling all the nutrients out of the water and converting it into food via Photosynthesis, that being said most coral that lose their zooxanthella which give them their color don't live a long life cause the zooxanthella does most of the food converting.

then again it could be some crazy new high breed.( fingers crossed)

aw man. It seems to have new heads coming in and another recently just split.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1075074 wrote: I would say it's a bleached out hammer coral that has lost its zooxanthella, color might not come back at all.

+1. It is a hammer not a frogspawn. ^ his explanation is as good as mine would be as far as the color situation.

Could it not be the lighting making it look bleached? Is it green with whites?
They really should be lower in the system than SPS too.

A few months ago my heater blew my flipped the main breaker. My system was down 12 hours. No power at all! It was cold then, the temp dropped 14 degrees in 12 hours with no oxygen. My frogspawn looked almost clear, like death! Lost 80% of my SPS but LPS not so bad.
Everythibg in my system gets feed, just does... and everything is very happy. Within three weeks it had recovered 100%.
Try lowering it a bit, talk positive to it and Keep the hope :)

Branching hammer. Same family as Frogspawn and Torch (all are Euphyllia sp. and are compatible with one another).

They will eat meaty foods if they catch them - they have many mouths in the tissue close to the skeleton.

It's hard to tell from the photo if it's just glare or if the specimen is bleached. Try googling for branching hammer coral and see if what you find resembles the colouration of yours - it shouldn't be transparent or 'white', but it does come in a number of different morphs, some are fluorscent, some are not.

Jenn

Back