Coral ID

schwaggs

Supporting
Reaction score
Sorry the picture is so bad, I will try and get a better one. The coral looks like an aiptasia anemone except the tenticles are very pure white, are very long with what appears to be balls on the end. The tenticles are not ectended in the picture, they get to be at least an inch long. It is growing a hard skeleton like a Caulastrea coral. It seems to be very slow growing, it has been in the tank for at least 2 years and has split only 2 new tiny heads. It seems to be happy under very low light (it is living under a single NO T5), it does grab meaty foods.

Any ideas?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
118477=7311-IMG_2660_1_1.jpg
>
118477=7311-IMG_2660_1_1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_2660_1_1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Zoomed version
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

It looks like that but the one in my system is growing a hard skeleton...

It could be a baby torch or frogspawn if you have one in your system. I had one spawn in my system years ago. AT first I thought it was aptasia and was going to nuke it until I found out it was a torch (had a hard skeleton and looked like that). I had about 25 baby torches growing....very cool. Let them grow.

I do have a torch but it's coloration is totally different. Plus this coral came in on the rock it is on... I really need to get a better picture of it with its tenticles extended. It doesn't look like any torch I have seen. Its tenticles are clear with white tick marks terminating in the little white balls. It is quite stunning...

This is a wild guess/question.. could it be some kind of Catalaphyllia?

Stroid;118616 wrote: baby dendro?

I think that may be it! Not a baby, however. It looks a lot like one of the first 3 pictures on this page: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dendrophylliidae.htm">http://www.wetwebmedia.com/dendrophylliidae.htm</a>

I will still try and get a better picture of it fully extended.

Supposedly young Duncanopsamia Axifuga can be clear like that. I have only seen the colored versions though. Same family more or less.

Back