Coral Identity

gclackum

Supporting
Reaction score
I ended up with a couple of frags not sure what they are. I assumed they were some type of Favia, however, my other Favia have feeder tentacles. Never seen any on these two frags? Any help would be welcome.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1080039=67121-image.jpg
>
1080039=67121-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

This was a Hollywood Stunner Chalice. It is growing really fast compared to my other chalices. Are there different types or is this a chalice?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1080152=67137-image.jpg
>
1080152=67137-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I thought I had heard you call it a Chalice. But then I read there was a Hollywood Stunner Monti so I started to wonder if I had indeed heard you say Chalice

Me too it grows faster than anything else I got in my tank. Are there different types of chalice?

Chalice is a common name for corals that grow into a cup or chalice shape.

Hollywood Stunner is the 'designer name' for Echinopora sp. and yes it grows fast - and huge. I had one that was 21" across when it crashed due to a parameter swing, and I'd had it for about 8 years. We'd also taken a TON of frags off it, if we hadn't pruned it from time to time, it would have been even bigger.

Hard to say exactly what the other is - could be Symphyllia or something similar. I looked in a book I have but couldn't find anything exactly like that but Symphyllia was closest - at best it's something in that family I think.

Jenn

Back