Coral Placement

triga22

Market
Reaction score
I dont seem to have much room to place corals in my 8 gallon biocube. Is there a way that I can change my rock? Some places have too much flow in my tank so just take a look at the pics. The red circles are where corals could be placed??
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
184986=11233-0091.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
184986=11233-0091.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="0091.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

As long as the rock doesn't stay out of the water too long (preferably not at all), you don't disturb the sand bed, and you're not kicking up a ton of detritus, you can shuffle the rock as you like.

From the pic, your tank looks pretty empty, so go ahead. I'd test the parameters a few times over the next couple of days to make sure you didn't create a nitrate spike before buying corals, though.

Ok, do you have any suggestions? I just dont think that there are really that many spots for corals.

I think it depends on what coral you are looking to put in there. You are probably best figuring out as you bring it in. Get a couple key pieces and then re-arrange things around those.

you might try closing the cave. it is pleasing to look at but not functional. the cave creates alot of wasted space that can be used for coral. as it stands now, it looks dark in the center of your tank and not much will grow in that entire area. also try turning some of your rock vertical to give you more options in configurations.
Key things I try to remember in a small tank:
1. Don't overload with rock
2. Don't create large caves and open spaces in the middle of the tank
3. Try to keep the back of the tank slightly clear from the rock work to allow ample flow throughout the tank.

TriGa22;185032 wrote: Im doing an all ric/mushroom tank.

Well I assume the ric's are the one's from our order!! HAHA I'll just make sure not to screw your part up and good luck with the tank. It will look great once the ric's get in there.

My suggestion is to drill a few holes in the rock. To do this, take out the rock and put a 1/4" drill bit on your drill and start drilling away. The when you want to attach something, it is easy. Take a small 1/4" acrylic rod and super glue it to a frag plug on the coral. The slide it into place on the rock. This way you can put corals in places that you would not be able to before, like on the SIDE of the rock. works like a charm. Best part is if you want to rearrange your corals you just pull them out of the hole and slide them in somewhere else.

IMHO, you have plenty of room in that rock as is to place stuff. The cave is great for lower light corals. You might want to move the rock on the left off the side. It is going to scratch your cube and make a a pain to clean right there!

Thanks for the replies I will look into drilling it. That sounds like a good idea.

interested in seeing what you did with this i have the same tank just a few gallons bigger and i was having the same problem

Back