Coral problems

Ghoff2323

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys, some of you may have seen my progress so far on this 30 gal in the new member tanks.
I've had the leather and the mushroom rock for a few months now, just added another rock from optimum with a mixture of zoas and different types of mushrooms and a leather. The zoas looked decent, and the green leather looked amazing. The mushrooms never looked AMAZING when I first got them but figured they would even out eith some stability. Well over the past two weeks or so the mushrooms have looked like they're dying and bleaching out. I've got them at the bottom of the tank as to not over do them and all the other corals on the rock looked healthy. Well over the past two days everything seems like its wanting to bleach out and die on that rock. I have no idea why or what's going on. My other corals are happy just not that frag rock. I tested all my parameters and everything seems to be steady as usual. I only run my light 10-11 hours a day but haven't changed it. Any ideas on what's going on?
Only thing I've changed is my flow to help get a little more in the tank. I moved my power head from the back of the tank facing forwards to the left side pushing across the front. The frag rock is just under that, is it too much flow for those corals? I would hate for this 80$ to go to waste and for them to die off.

Attachments

• 20190823_171939.jpg
    20190823_171939.jpg
    921.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20190820_171019.jpg
    20190820_171019.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 20190820_171103.jpg
    20190820_171103.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 20190823_171932.jpg
    20190823_171932.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 20190805_175923.jpg
    20190805_175923.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
Another thing to consider is that the coral itself could've been sick to begin with since it didn't look healthy at the store. They're animals and like other animals they can acquire infections. We're starting to learn that a lot of coral losses could be a result of infections rather than some parameter being off... Everything else looks healthy in your tank... I would also try running some fresh carbon as it would help with any allelopathic issues that are also possible.

Another thing to consider is that the coral itself could've been sick to begin with since it didn't look healthy at the store. They're animals and like other animals they can acquire infections. We're starting to learn that a lot of coral losses could be a result of infections rather than some parameter being off... Everything else looks healthy in your tank... I would also try running some fresh carbon as it would help with any allelopathic issues that are also possible.
I'll try that! Thank you

Also-
Mushrooms don't like too much flow!
What is your alkalinity?
Mushrooms need iodine. Your salt may or may not provide enough, depending on the brand.
I usually prefer to have mushrooms on their own rock so they can be moved or removed & at/near the bottom.
Otherwise, one of the easiest corals to grow & can sometimes take over a tank, like GSP or xenia, if left unchecked.
Here's a good reference-

Also-
Mushrooms don't like too much flow!
What is your alkalinity?
Mushrooms need iodine. Your salt may or may not provide enough, depending on the brand.
I usually prefer to have mushrooms on their own rock so they can be moved or removed & at/near the bottom.
Otherwise, one of the easiest corals to grow & can sometimes take over a tank, like GSP or xenia, if left unchecked.
Here's a good reference-
The flow may have killed them off. It was tough having them on a rock with two other species of coral because they all had different needs. Will plan for this a little better in the future. Thanks for the info!

I actually have had a change in flow pattern (all of a sudden getting more flow) almost kill off very established zoas once. Also, I have had two strong of flow slowly kill off mushrooms. They could not fully extend and just started to melt over time. Was not an issue for me as they were taking over but could happen.

I actually have had a change in flow pattern (all of a sudden getting more flow) almost kill off very established zoas once. Also, I have had two strong of flow slowly kill off mushrooms. They could not fully extend and just started to melt over time. Was not an issue for me as they were taking over but could happen.
I adjusted the flow but I think they were already too far gone. My other mushrooms are loving it though so who knows

The ups and downs of maintaining a reef. Sometimes it is hard to find the exact right placement for a coral because they are a drama queen. Sometimes it is like trying to keep the peace between waring countries! I pray it all comes around for you. I have had things recover from just one small piece of live flesh that made it!

The ups and downs of maintaining a reef. Sometimes it is hard to find the exact right placement for a coral because they are a drama queen. Sometimes it is like trying to keep the peace between waring countries! I pray it all comes around for you. I have had things recover from just one small piece of live flesh that made it!
Thank you!

Back