Coral regrets ?

Eric_n_Ga

Reaction score
Any corals you would not buy again for one reason or another ?

Any that were just not what you thought or turned out to be more then you wanted ?

1. Blue clove polyps. They're easy enough to eliminate but they are the direct cause of my regular advice to not wait until a problem gets out of hand. If anything is spreading too much, jump on it before the task become a giant one.
  2. Chalice corals - I don't regret keeping them but I do regret underestimating the size of their sweeper tentacles. Now I make PLENTY of room for them. They can have some of the longest sweepers I've seen.
  3. Caulerpa Prolifera - This isn't a coral per say but it is a common macro algae that sends out tentacles with little anchors ll over the live rock. It's great for a sump but be careful adding it to any rock work that is touching or close to anything else.

Perhaps I just don't have enough experience, but I had a heck of a time with an encrusting coral this week. I was attempting to frag it under the water, rather than take the rock out and nearly ruined my scape. It was getting too close to another coral.

I got several "Starter corals" in the beginning and while I wouldn't buy them again I wouldn't consider them to be the biggest regret. Xenia, GSP, and a few others. My biggest regret is a Hydrophora and the spot in the tank I put it. I placed it high up on the rock in prime SPS space and it grew like a weed. At the base of it is where the RTA Red Turf Algae came from. It was manageable until I removed that coral, then it turned into plague proportions. Had I known what it was earlier on I could have got rid of it when it was a smaller problem.

Good feedback , starting to look at frags and really don't want to go backwards down the line .

Oh forgot about "beginner corals" If its cheap and doesnt have much color and you got it to "try a coral" it will take over your tank.

Perhaps I just don't have enough experience, but I had a heck of a time with an encrusting coral this week. I was attempting to frag it under the water, rather than take the rock out and nearly ruined my scape. It was getting too close to another coral.

You need an epoxy wall. Get some reef epoxy, mix it, make a little tube of it about 3" long and make a perimeter wall around your coral. Let the coral grow over it, then use some tweezers or whatever to pop the epoxy off. I do this for anything encrusting or zoa's.

You need an epoxy wall. Get some reef epoxy, mix it, make a little tube of it about 3" long and make a perimeter wall around your coral. Let the coral grow over it, then use some tweezers or whatever to pop the epoxy off. I do this for anything encrusting or zoa's.

I think I've got it pictured correctly in my mind. But if you could shoot a pic of something you may have like that it'd be great.
I was just thinking about this and using some scrap acrylic as a divider.

GSP ,Green Explosion zone and galaxia. (Gsp because its unstoppable, galaxia because long sweeping tentacles and green explosions because they are extremely poisonous and unstoppable.

Blue clove polyps...never. Things to keep isolated on there own rock and keep an eye one for drop offs...pulsing xenia, many kinds of mushrooms, zoas and palys, kenya tree, encrusting corals and gps....certain kinds of poccis can spread through out your tanks as well and become a problem from my experiance. :)

Back