Coral snow?

jman930

Supporting
Reaction score
Was reading a post in reef2reef about how coral snow will improve water clarity and eliminate cyano. Anyone have any experience with this?

About that same topic.

I have been dosing that once every week or two for a few months now. I have been happy with the results.

Luckily I have never battled cyano. I only dose it for the water clarity and I guess preventative measure against cyano.

I think this directly won’t take out the cyano @chemaholic. From the post it seems that the calcium carbonate along with MB7 will do the trick.

can anyone chime in that knows for sure?

I do this with MB7 1 time per week just as posted.

10 drops of Microbacter7 per 5ML of Coral Snow. I have used MB7 for a long time, does amazing keeping out the ugly stuff.

I’ve enjoy reading some comments on reef2reef but so many. Lol. Seems though you must have large skimmer to effectively remove the wastes. Anyone do this without skimmer and “just” the filter gross/filter sock/rollermat? Curious but not that important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can dose every day if you want to. It still took a while to get rid of my cyano and I think it was mostly becaus3 of the mb7.
If you are going to dose daily, I would make up 2 batches of this, 1 with MB7 for 1 time weekly, then 1 for daily dosing of snow by itself without the MB7. (you could do the MB7/Snow daily until the tank is clean).

Once your tank is clean of the uglys, MB7 for daily dosing is 1 drop per 50/g daily or 1 drop per 25/g every other day. It will strip nutrients that feed the ugly stuff, so once it is gone, I would not continue the snow/mb7 daily it could have negative effects on your colors, I have had it happen to me before.

I’ve enjoy reading some comments on reef2reef but so many. Lol. Seems though you must have large skimmer to effectively remove the wastes. Anyone do this without skimmer and “just” the filter gross/filter sock/rollermat? Curious but not that important.

I just threw a aquamaxx hob 1.5 on the back of my 125 for it with filter socks because I don't run a skimmer...filter socks alone would probably be fine. I do have the felt socks though

I just threw a aquamaxx hob 1.5 on the back of my 125 for it with filter socks because I don't run a skimmer...filter socks alone would probably be fine. I do have the felt socks though

That’s good to know. My tank is just shy of 4 month and having a roller mat keeps my tank water very clear, and do have 10w UV that I use once in a blue moon just cause. Definitely will keep in mind when tank starts to get dirty dirty. Try this method!!

The literature says that if you dose early, as in during cycling, you prevent uglies from taking hold of substrate sites. This is suggested as the preferred method, because prevention is easier than the cure.

This is done by seeding a mixture of calcium carbonate powder, saltwater and bacteria, then mixing well for 2-3 hours. Then dosing according to previous amounts mentioned.

There isn’t anything particularly special about Mocrobacter 7 I can find? Korallin Zucht supposedly uses their ZeoBAK strains with ~70 micron CaCO3. Other strains have been used and found to work, even some non-commercial strains used in research and hatcheries have shown results. There is also having very much something due to the high pH of our reef tanks though. This is not new science, just new to the reef hobby. I’ve found references going back to the 80’s and I’m just now getting into looking 👀

This is basic flocculation which has been around in waste & water treatment for over a century. Skimmers work because of the calcium in our system water, but that is for another discussion.

Would carbon dosing work okay if used along with the mb7/snow treatment? I am very interested in carbon dosing because of the supposed benefits to corals. Would it work better to use snow/mb7 to clear the tank up and then switch to carbon dosing?

Back