Coral Wars

jcook54

Secretary
Staff member
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
We all do our best to keep our corals separated and happy but sometimes they get too close and a "coral war" erupts. For the sake of, well, being a fish nerd, what corals win? Do you have any experience with a coral war in your system? Which species won and how bad was the damage? I'm starting this thread because I had a frag rack fall on to a very large hollywood stunner (chalice) that was sitting in the bottom of my tank and it turns out that when the good ol' Hollywood Stunner goes to war, it usually wins. Of course it happened while I was on vacation last week so I couldn't get things corrected until I got home on Sunday. So, here the coral wars I've seen and I'm keen to know the results of any coral wars you guys may have had in your tank.

Hollywood Stunner (chalice) > pocillopora, steriatopora & monti cap. These 3 species were the one's that fell onto the stunner and wherever they touched, the stunner won. I was expecting more damage on the stunner.

Favia > chalice
I'm assuming that not all chalices are created equal but I have a favia that's touching a blue/pink chalice in my tank and the favia doesn't seem phased at all and the chalice is slowly losing ground.

Candy cane (caulastrea) > monti cap I have a large colony of green mouth candy cane that's been in my system for a long time and there's been a monti cap close by for years. One day I noticed a few dead spots on the monti and instantly paniced that I had monti nudis but after some detective work, I noticed that the candy cane was putting out really, really long sweeper tentacles and stinging the high points of the cap causing it to have apparently random dead spots.

I have a leptoseris that has beaten an acan frag that was knocked down as well as a monti that fell so for me leptoseris>acan leptoseris >monti

Sometimes you can just throw species out the window and look at price tag. For some reason the random monti a friend gave you two years ago always seems to win over the Jason Fox Fire Breather Rainbow Snake Explosion monti that you paid $100 for.

Saltwater Rule #1
Cheap thing < Expensive thing.

Also...
Free < All
Hands down free trumps all 90% of the time.

Oh. And hydnrophora trumps all to.

That’s an interesting thought:
•Hydnophora vs Galaxia
Both have a wicked sting!

Normally, I would probably put my money on Galaxia, due to its long sweepers preventing the Hydnophora from growing too close. But what if a healthy Hydnophora fell and landed on a Galaxia colony; I’m not sure who would win that fight.

goniopora vs mushrooms - goni wins
goniopora vs hammer - goni wins
grandis paly wins most things in my tank just by the chemicals it puts off. In one of my old tanks anything with in three inches of a huge boquet of grandis I had was dead or dying.

We all know that hydnophora > than most corals but I can not confirm that thanks to our very own @dball711 that hydnophora > JF Spirfire Leptastrea

I won one of Dball's auction and picked up the frag at the ARC meeting on Sunday. Sunday night it got knocked off onto a plating hydnophora where it stayed until morning. Interestingly enough, it slimed up and was s big ball of white when I finally noticed it. I put it back on the frag rack, moved the hydnophora and let it be for a while. Towards the end of yesterday I put the leptastrea in front of a powerhead and blew most of the white slime away. I just checked on it and it appears to be just fine. Time will tell but I couldn't find a single dead polyp which is a pretty big surprise to me.

Back