Coralife Dual timer

gmanjeep

Market
Reaction score
I am on my second Coralife Dual timer which I purchased from DrFostersmith in the past 3 months and now the second one has also stopped working correctly.In both situations, one or other timer has just stopped working and the lights just stay on! Has anyone else had this problem? All I am running on the timer is my lighting. 2-250 watt MH pendants on one timer,and two T5 strips and my moonlights on the other timer. What other type of dual timer is reliable? This really sucks!!:mad2:

Yes I had that problem as well.

Depending on where you keep the timer it seems to be highly suceptable to cleanliness.

I took mine out checked all the outlets for corrosion and blew it clean.

Next I reset all the little doodads and then reset them all and have not had a problem since.

Those things have been known to catch fire and/or melt as well. I would not run one of these.

I've had three of them, two just stopped working (one wouldn't turn off and the other wouldn't come on). A replacement one started smoking! I bought a RKII and got rid of the things.

I have one in "the box". I had the same problem; I think it is just part of the deal. I figure that if you opened it up and adjusted the contacts inside, you could alleviate this particular problem.

Bought an RKII, never looked back.

Cameron;97705 wrote: Those things have been known to catch fire and/or melt as well. I would not run one of these.

Beautiful! Now you tell me! :eek: lol. Mine's workin fine so far...(2 months and counting...I've got an RKII on my xmas list!)

I had three... gave two away and the other melted some plastic.

I use an AquaController 3, but most people I know use either an ACJr or an RK2. Eventually they just make sense. If you are on a budget, a good surge protector and digital garden timers work well.

Just bought 3 digital timers today...RFII is on list...might stay on it past xmas too lol

If you look at the price of a good surge protector, digital timers and a ph controller, you have enough to justify the RKII/AC jr. I think the basic ACjr is the cheapest option and you can add on later.

Geehh;97746 wrote: Beautiful! Now you tell me! :eek: lol. Mine's workin fine so far...(2 months and counting...I've got an RKII on my xmas list!)

What is the deductable on your home owners insurance compaired with what a RKII cost? I had mine 3 to 5 months before I had problems with one of those timers. Then in less than a month 2 screwed up and one smoked, I was lucky I was in the room and smelled the smoke.

jefft;97837 wrote: What is the deductable on your home owners insurance compaired with what a RKII cost? I had mine 3 to 5 months before I had problems with one of those timers. Then in less than a month 2 screwed up and one smoked, I was lucky I was in the room and smelled the smoke.

Same problem with my timer. I was doing a water change and didn't realize the water pitcher I was using was dribbling water right into an outlet in the timer until I heard the crackling sound and saw smoke. And the GFI it was plugged into never tripped the power. Scary.

Yea, water and electricity are a fun combination! Can't really blame that one on the timer, tho.

I try to be careful, drip loops, outlets pointing down instead of out, GFCI, etc., but 'stuff' happens.

I had a fire years ago in my aquarium stand when an extension cord got bunched up and pinched by a 5 gal bucket. No timer or water involved, just my own stupidity!

Hmmm...now that I think about it, I need to add a smoke alarm over the aquarium!

I have thought about putting one in my fishroom also, and a leak detection alarm. I am sure if there is a water leak then it will be shortly followed by a fire of some sorts as everything shorts out!

flyingarmy;97946 wrote: I have thought about putting one in my fishroom also, and a leak detection alarm. I am sure if there is a water leak then it will be shortly followed by a fire of some sorts as everything shorts out!

A leak alarm is in my plans too, just haven't got there yet--it's hasn't made it to the top of the honey-do list yet!

Linda Lee;97947 wrote: RKII power buy.... hmmmmm........

Santa?

Ummmm...if you pour water on an RKII it'll probably have a similar--but more expensive--reaction as your timer! ;)

Back