Coralife Super Skimmer????

I have had one running on my 150 for about 6 months now without incident. I know they are prone to overflowing but mine has never. I think it actually does a good job for a relatively inexpensive skimmer.

Mine overflowed many times. It was an in-sump configuration, so it wasn't the end of the world... Sometimes I could understand why it did it, other times it just did it for no reason. It was also prone to doing the converse---stop making any bubbles whatsoever. In both cases, if I just left it alone, it would start doing its thing again within a few hours. The other 99.5% of the time it was a great skimmer, especially for what it cost new.

I had a 220 until recently and had it overflow maybe once.. That was my fault though.. added about 5 gallons of water to the sump without adjusting the water level back down...

Haha, yep. Had it running HOB in the sump so I would have room for other equipment. Had it overflow one time and was like "enough of that" and put it in the sump. Of course, since then, it hasn't overflowed, and if you look at the thread "Let's see some skimmate" on page 7 or 8, you can see what my skimmer produces about every 3-4 days. Not bad for the price.

I had the same issue as parsonsaj with it not producing bubbles for no real reason. Then again, I wasn't the best with cleaning the thing out.

you have to make sure the air inlet line stays clean. It can get pluged with salt.

JAustin;317184 wrote: you have to make sure the air inlet line stays clean. It can get pluged with salt.

Yep, sometimes that would fix the problem, and was always the first thing I would try. Sometimes it didn't and I just had to wait it out...

Mine just keeps skimming. Been said too many times, but keep a constant water level, watch what you put in the tank and your fine. Def put it in a sump. Worst overflow I had was as a newbie I tried melafix ( why? I don't know, I was a newbie!). Constant flood. Took 2 weeks to get my skimmer to calm down. No more snakeoil for my tank.

Mine only overflowed when I was trying to be too aggressive on skimming wet.
I did have it insump and an ATO for consistent water levels.

Matt

I've had a 220 on my 120 for about a year now with no problems. I had the smaller one previous to this bigger one and never had significant problems with it either. Big water changes (20%+) tend to mess with it (either starts skimming wet or starts skimming dry) sometimes...but I've never had it overflow on me.

Back