Coraline Algae question

zanski

Market
Reaction score
Okay so in my previous tanks my coraline algae has been pink to dark red. In my 75 Its green:sick: . Why is this? What causes the different colors? Also it seems to grow a TON faster than the pink and red ive had in the past.:huh:

If I am not mistaken, the green comes in first, eventually taken over by the pinks, reds, purples... I have areas of lime colored green, as well as pink and purple.

Strange. What kind of bulbs are you running?

FWIW, only the pink likes to grow in my tank.

The different colors are typically different species of coraline. As you change your lighting you will find that a different type of coraline will dominate as each one seems to prefer different lighting intensity and wavelength. I find that the red ones like lower light, and the pink/purple seem to prefer stronger light. Too much light and coraline won't even grow...

I'm not too sure what the green prefers, but its definitely not as prevelant in most tanks.

Well I had a 26 bow that started light pink. Never seen green so, I was curious. Im running PC's, Ill shoot a picture when I get a sec.

P.S.

I have got some red diatom on top of the return lock-line's. The !!ONLY!!
place it grows. Ill dust it off one day and in 2 more its back! Why is this?

nutrients in the water. i have the same problem but not with diatoms. mine is a green coraline on glass. only way i saw was to get a phosphate sponge and running uv.

The only place I see green is in my aquafuge with low flow and 6700K PCs

diatoms are almost always silicate related which generally comes in with water changes or poor substrate. It generally doesn't like high flow (although I have some that actually collects inside the pump) so this is probably one of the more dead spots in your tank. Hermits and astrea usually do a good job of mopping this stuff up.

I wonder if the light green color coralline that Ive seen is actually white colarline with green micro on top of it. Huum

It seems to me the green color has more to do with water parameters than light intensity or spectrum. Ive seen green coralline go from green to pink by getting a good handle on phosphates, calcium, alk, mag & Waste.

Like Jin said, the spectrum and intensity of light has a lot to do with the color. On my current system, I have 14K MH on my display which grows pink on the glass and rock in direct light. I my holding tanks (same water) that are lit with NO T5s, and HO T5s and un the underside of the rock in my main display the coraline grows the most beautiful, dark reds, purple and maroon.

Check it out......

Back in my CF days, I bought some xenia from a guy in Lilburn (pre ARC days) anyway, I think he was running 400 watt MH's and his coraline was blue, VERY blue. I noticed under my CF's that his coraline looked a green color.

First and only time I've ever seen blue coraline.....

Back