coraline algae ??

jetchris

Market
Reaction score
Ok I am setting up an old cube tank it hasnt been used in about 3 months. There was spots of coraline algae all over the inside. Now all the spots are white. If I fill up the tank will the purple color come back or should I just clean off the old coraline algae.

Thanks

they are dead now, so it is better to clearn them out and let a new 1 build up.

I doubt it will come back, but new coraline algae will be more likely to start growing on the old spots. So if you want coraline algae to grow on it, I'd leave it.

ok so far by the 2 responces I am still up in the air - to clean or not to clean, I am kinda lazy so i would rather not but if it is better i do than maybe I shall ?????????????????

it is dead so there are no benefit at all to leave it there. it will cost dieoff just like dead LR

WOLFIE;39180 wrote: it will cost dieoff just like dead LR

I'm not sure that I agree w/ this statement. Dead LR has a lot more dead on & in it than just coraline algae.

True. Dead LR have more stuff in it then coraline algae, but die off is die off. It may be small, but it is still die off now matter how you look at it.

right, but a little die-off is desirable in a new tank to help kick off the cycle- right?

yeah but once coraline algae dies or turns white it is no good an as chris said "an old cube 'so I took that as it had just been sitting around ...if it has turned white clean it off

I have a similar problem with no 'live" coraline algae. How do you get live coraline algae to start growing again? Buy a live rock that has some on it and place it in the tank? I already have alot of LR, would coraline algae start if I bought one piece covered in coraline algae and placed in the tank?

Give it time. coraline will grow in your tank. Time are the best thing that can happen in a reeftank

The old coraline algae won't do anything - once it's dead, all that's left is the calcium that was in it's skeleton. I'd clean it off, but the only benefit is a cleaner tank to start with. You can use vinegar to help a good bit with the cleaning.

You will get more Coraline over time. You do not need to buy Coraline covered rock because it grows with Calcium so as long as your calcium levels are up you will have Coraline.

Back