corals not doing good. need help

mjhonda2002

Reaction score
use this link. Thanks for all the help Matt.

showthread.php

Mushrooms dont really like alot of light i have to tuck mine back into the coner under little cliffs in the tank, try giving them little bitty pieces of shrimp, all test look ok but i would try and knock down the nitritaes but it is ok for shrooms.

Chris

have u ever tryed tucking them back, that is how i had mine the i started tucking them back under the little crevis's in the shadows and one of my ricordia split a week later and my green n purple shrooms got like 1/4 of the size they were when i had them under the halide, u know how it is what works for me might not work for u, i don't know just fig i would give my opinion.

Chris

I do have to agree with the RC people that a temp fluctuating around the 85 degree mark is a bit high... Direct a fan onto the water to get some evaporative cooling going on. Check the wiki for more info, Chris has a good write up on this.

Yes do agree, overlooked the temp, mine never goes above 80.2 usually around 78 to 80 for me. sorry didn't mean to miss info on the orginal post just over looked.

It is pretty hard to cook a shroom coral with anything save monster lighting. At the bottom of a 22" tank with MH lighting you are probably going to find you are running 100 PAR or so.

Temp is high. You don't need a lot of flow and you probably don't need 6000 or so GPH with modded maxijets if these are running full out. The easy fix for the other params is start doing a water change. Do a 25% every week for at least 4 weeks. The ammonia, nitrogen, etc params will take care of themselves after that. Not likely the problem for the shrooms, but a better skimmer will probably help the overall tank health.

Some shrooms just croak and others shrivel up before splitting. How long have you had the shrooms and are the sliming at all yet?

Nice catch... little worried about Ledger after Jack did such a great job but hopefully he can pull it off.

Back