Corals out of water?

jgoal55

Market
Reaction score
Just curious to see what is the longest some of you have left your corals out of the water while doing a WC? I pushed my limit today at about 35-40 minutes....I poured water on them with my hand every once in a while though.

most corals get shipped in wet paper towels man should be fine just dont let them dry out

oh no i wasnt worried...I know they are fine.....i was just curious to see how long people on here have gone....

I mean tidal changes can leave corals out of the water for hours.....

I left some out for about an hour today while I tried to catch this fish... Dang thing was fast, I had to take out most of the rock to get him.

Xyzpdq0121;136247 wrote: I left some out for about an hour today while I tried to catch this fish... Dang thing was fast, I had to take out most of the rock to get him.
now you know what i go threw every time i try and catch a fish

Probably 24 hours.

Yes, it died.

But think about in the real world where corals are exposed during tides.

Over the summer I had a tank bottom crack and empty out while I was away. I came home to an empty tank and the rock was dry. It was a new tank so not very many corals but I did have some zoas, Kenya Tree, mushrooms, etc in the tank. When I took the rocks out they looked like mush. I put the rock in to some saltwater and amazingly all the corals bounced back! I estimated that the tank was empty for about 36 hours. I don't advise trying this at home!
BZ

On the flip side of this discussion, I had a sea fan that had the tips exposed for an hour or so while I changed water and cleaned the tank. Later that week I noticed the tips had died off. The sea fan is shorter now.....

yeah sea fans are very sensitive to air.....from what i hear....good to knoe Im not the only one that has left guys out for a while

There was a shipping study that showed some corals could easily survive 48 hours without issue.

really? wow.....I dont think ill be giving that a shot....i have read that softies will last a lot longer than hard corals.....

I think it is exactly the inverse... hard corals can apparently last a while simply kept damp and studies have shown they ship better that way as Vic mentioned.

hmmm...maybe I got that backwards.....I thought I had read that because of the slime coating that softies produce they lasted longer out of water...Ill see if I can find what i was reading...it was a while ago....I may just have it mixed up as I dont remember too well

Back