Coris Wrasse Infection/wound?

kwolf

Reaction score
I've recently acquired a Yellow Coris Wrasse which I acclimated to my tank on Wednesday. Yesterday I dropped some food in my tank to see if he would eat. He ate fine and spent the rest of the day exploring and hunting in the open. Today when I went to check on him and he was sitting at the bottom of my tank motionless, struggling to breathe. When I purchased him his fins were torn and he had a tiny bit of pink behind his fins. The fin that is torn the worst is his left fin (as in picture). This is the fin where the red has spread.

dsc02368n.jpg
alt="" />

Is it an infection? Or bleeding within the fin? What can I do?

Just went to the LFS to get parameters checked again (I do not trust the test kits here). Everything is fine except:

pH is too low (7.8-7.9) and salinity is a little too high: 1.026. Starting to buffer pH presently and slowly drop the salinity to 1.025.

Corals are happy and open. There is a sand bed ~3 inches. He was buried in it last night.

PH is not the problem either. Sounds like it was damaged when you bought it if I read your post correct.

since he's not eating metro/focus won't work, however, you can treat your display with prazipro, although it doesn't look like any worm infection to me.

not looking good.

Is prazi reef safe? I have softies and a pistol. Luckily I do have some prazi.

He is now getting those same blotches on his other fins (including the tail fin). The tail fin is/was also ragged/torn in appearance.

I want to treat him ASAP.

I should also add he's losing pigmentation between his eye and operculum. It's gray/black.

When I first put him in he had trouble balancing. Would swim awkwardly.

KWolf;425754 wrote: Is prazi reef safe? I have softies and a pistol. Luckily I do have some prazi.

He is now getting those same blotches on his other fins (including the tail fin). The tail fin is/was also ragged/torn in appearance.

I want to treat him ASAP.

Yup, but I'm not sure what your fish has.

setting up QT right now. 10 gallon with sand for hiding and mesh lid.

Medicines I have:
Prazipro
Rid Ich
Melafix

or freshwater dip.

The question being what to dose?

Kelsey was on the right track. Bacterial infection. No disrespect intended (and I am sorry for your loss)... shouldn't have bought him damaged.

Chances are it was already brewing the infection if you noticed the pink behind its fins, so rest assured it's nothing you did or didn't do - it was well on its way, when you got it.

Chances are the rest of your fish will be OK if their exposure was brief and they are otherwise uninjured and healthy. If any others have any abrasions or wounds, you might want to get some Kanaplex or NeoPlex with some Focus. And any time antibiotics are used, go a full 7 days or the bacterium might become resistant.

Keep a close eye on the rest.

Yellow fish always seem to show up the red streaks the worst - more contrast. That does look like a pretty nasty infection though.

Sorry :(

Jenn

Thanks everybody for your help. It just sucks I had him floating in the QT when he died. Oh well, he was probably past "the point of no return" anyways.

I've contacted the store about it and they said they will work with me.

I would agree, based on your photo - there was nothing more you could have done.

Good deal that the shop is willing to work it out with you.

Jenn

There are no other fish in the system so I did not set up a QT initially. Just some soft corals/crabs/snails.

I will admit though that I didn't get to investigate his fins when I bought him (they were clear and in it was hard to see). He appeared bright and fat at the store. Only a slight red behind his fin. Really, it became more evident once he was placed in the tank. At first there wasn't all that red just appeared as though the fins had been bitten. He was eating and fine yesterday (though swimming off). I thought it was because of the fins being damaged from shipment or some previous conflict. He hid in the sand at night.

Today when the lights came on....rapid breathing on bottom of tank (some points he was upside down), and the red had spread. You can even tell from the first to last picture the rapid progression of infection within the span of a few hours.

Even if I left him in the tank (he would have died). There was no chance at that point.

However, since I now have the QT set up, the next fish will be going there before the main tank (even though there's no fish). Just in case.

I got one from Creation and he was great. Unfortunately he jumped twice through eggcrate. My wife saved him the first time but the second time nobody was around. :( Awesome fish, I had him for about 5 months.

Back