Corner overflow plumbing

lt_smash

Market
Reaction score
Who out there is using a corner overflow with the stock dorso drain.? We picked up one for Christmas, but I have yet to put water in it. Everything I've read, states that is a terrible dream, but I went to a few local fish stores and they say it's fine.

I can't imagine an aquarium manufacturer selling an aquarium set up for over $1,000 and it not working as designed, am I thinking too much into this?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

+1 all the tanks that I ever had have all been stock, never had an issue at all and with a little tuning you can get them to run silent.

Just don't push them beyond their capacity. I could never get one silent. Quite yes but not silent.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1065000 wrote: +1 all the tanks that I ever had have all been stock, never had an issue at all and with a little tuning you can get them to run silent.

so what is the secret to silent? Mine is quiet but I can still hear the water trickling through the weir and the drop is only 1/2".

It's never going to be noiseless. The Aqueon Durso is nicer than the Marineland ones. The former is sold separately, the latter comes with the tank but it's big and clunky. The Aqueon one comes with a spare reducing bulkhead that can be used with a Marineland tank that has both holes drilled the same size.

Either one sure beats the old school overflow pipes with the foam, honeycomb pipe and float - between sponges getting nasty and the gurgle.... geez. I googled to find a picture of the old style kits and can't find one. Those were primitive.

aq-agazsp_02.jpg
alt="" />

w_hartyjr;1065459 wrote: Slow down the flow coming back from sump. Use a gate valve to adjust it
I will try this. I have a ball valve on my return but wish that i would have went with a gate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Here are the only pix I could find of the old-style gurgly ones:

smoverflow1%5B1%5D%20U1%20pt.jpg
alt="" />

smoverflow2%5B1%5D.jpg
alt="" />

w_hartyjr;1065459 wrote: Slow down the flow coming back from sump. Use a gate valve to adjust it
Just to clarify, mine is a herbie but I dialed it back and it is quieter. I was trying to get max flow but it is fine. ..and quieter now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I do the same thing but split the pipe into a sump and refugium and its nearly silent.

It was a solid standpipe halfway up, then about 6-8" of 'honeycomb' pipe, with a sponge filter, and that float was supposed to be a silencer.

I have no idea who came up with that idea... but it sucked. And gurgled.

Jenn

JennM;1065509 wrote: It was a solid standpipe halfway up, then about 6-8" of 'honeycomb' pipe, with a sponge filter, and that float was supposed to be a silencer.

I have no idea who came up with that idea... but it sucked. And gurgled.

Jenn

Lol thank goodness for developments in our hobby.

Got that right. Richard Durso came up with the standpipe we are most familiar with today, as an alternative. Dude should have patented it - he'd be wealthy from it today.

Instead, he shared what he figured out, freely - sold kits but he gave away the instructions for DIY, and eventually the manufacturers picked up on it.

Jenn

Come over the back of the tank with your return and use the Herbie method with the two pipes in the overflow.

Back