Could a tank leak over time?

chauwall

Market
Reaction score
Just curious to know. I've had my tank for 3 years with no problems. But I was wondering if over time, could a tank develop a leak? What can I do to avoid that? 120 gallons on the hardwood floors and basement would be pretty disastrous. Any thoughts?

Yes they can, I had a 55 that had been up for awhile, and one day, heard something and found quite a few gallons spilling onto the floor. I don't know of anything you can do to prevent it. One thing I have seen people do is have an acrylic tray under the tank to hold the sump and all plumbing that can contain some water before it spills over. Or if it's a wooden stand and you can't get a tray under it or in it, waterproof and silicone the seams the best you can....

ares;243231 wrote: there is no way to avoid the dreaded blowout. no safegaurd for that.
I'll just go ahead and ziptie and duct tape it together just in case...lol

I have a small leak under my tank since it was set up. It is from where it connects to the tank (return underneath). I have it go into the sump. Not quite sure how to fix it. It has been glued but I am afraid to try to tighten it.

Yes they will. I have had it happen on a 55 I had. It was set up for years and one day I noticed a puddle on the stand. It wasn't catostrophic or anything but I did go out and buy a new tank as soon as I saw it.

So the leaks are usually on the bottom seals-more like a steady drip. Not on the sides? What could cause the degradation of silicone if everything is supposed to be constant-pH, temp, etc.

I always have reoccurring dreams (or nightmares) that my tank busts at the sides like a tidal wave :blush: It was really bad when I first got the tank- I couldn't sleep because I was so worried. I'm sure it can't happen like that-been watching too many movies :D

Silicone degrades over time in or out of an aquarium. Its just the nature of the product

chauwall;243290 wrote: So the leaks are usually on the bottom seals-more like a steady drip. Not on the sides? What could cause the degradation of silicone if everything is supposed to be constant-pH, temp, etc.

I always have reoccurring dreams (or nightmares) that my tank busts at the sides like a tidal wave :blush: It was really bad when I first got the tank- I couldn't sleep because I was so worried. I'm sure it can't happen like that-been watching too many movies :D

i had a few dreams of where the tanks stand couldnt stabalize the tank so it rocked back and forth untill it fell, scary.

dawgdude;243309 wrote: I put foam under my tank to level it, a pile of towels behind the tank to soak up some and hope for the best.
i read that if you cant put foam under glass.

dawgdude;243326 wrote: Blind.........jeez kid, you kill me sometimes!
i know, i did give anyone advice on it so no harm done and i read that wayyyyy after my tank was set-up.

dawgdude;243326 wrote: Blind.........jeez kid, you kill me sometimes!

Lol!:lol2:

Anyway, I had my 55 spring a leak on me- it was slow and a gob of super glue held it until I got my 90. :)

my last 90 leaked after a year. sometime it was just made incorrectly. i always worry about it leaking while im on vacation. what would you guys do if your tank leaked while you were on vacation?

Back