Could it be?

rdnelson

Market
Reaction score
For those of you who have not followed my build thread you may not know that over the course of the last couple weeks I have lost all but one fish. :-( In trying to identify the cause, we explored many different possibilities. First thought was Ich, next Brooklanella and so on. In every case, some fished showed signs that matched the disease symptoms and others didn't. Therefore I was not convinced I knew the answer.

I am now wondering if I have found the answer. During the past week, I noticed a brown film collecting on my mixing container but didn't think a lot of it. Today when I went to start my tank maintenance I noticed the film was much more prevalent and in a few areas there were dark black streaks (similar to soot). I also noticed I had no water movement. Closer inspection of my power head indicated a brown build-up around the cord where it entered the body of the PH. Pulling it out, I let it drain for a bit and then put it back in the water to see bubbles coming out of the housing at the point the cord enters.

Here is my supposition. I am now wondering if a lubricant wasn't leching into the water. Of course this is the water I was using for water changes. As the toxin built up, it put stress on the fish. Due to stress, some fish showed signs of ich or brooklynella but other succumbed without signs of disease. I am sure that I will never know for sure but two things I do know. That PH is now in the trash and the water I had mixed up has been thrown out. I have washed the mixing container thoroughly.

Would love to hear opinions on all this. I know it is impossible for any of you to know for sure but your thoughts would be helpful in my understanding. Shoot all the whole you can in my theory because that is how I learn.

The motor of a Ph should be epoxy coated. But the salt water could break it down and cause chemicals to Leach. Did you have coral in your tank because I would think a chemical would effect them first. No way to tell really though.

Maybe pay for a full examination of the water buy a lab. Shouldn't be too much. And I imagine it would be cheaper than having fish die all the time. And the poor fish:(

The corals all are doing great with the exception of one very nice acro that was given to me. I was in the process of aclimating that very coral when I found the first fish. However, there were four other frags in that same batch that all are doing great. I have acros, chalices, montis, mushrooms, frogspawn, hammer and three nems. All are completely unaffected.

Back