Could my anemone be dead???

geno

Market
Reaction score
Well, I thought everything was going so well :sad:

If you read my recent post about my first purchase you know I have (had) a rose anemone with 2 clowns. The temp went down from about 80 to 76 last night -- stupid me -- and I don't know if the swing has killed the guy.

My wife said at 10 this morning he looked fine and tonight he's all gray and very small -- I don't know if he's dead or not. I'm really sad.

I'm going to check my parms after sending this -- but wanted your thoughts. If it was my fault -- I need to learn what I did wrong -- otherwise should I ask for a replacement or refund -- I only bought it this past Saturday from a LFS?

-geno

A pic would help. What kind of lights do you have? Did you properly acclimate the nem?

He might be just deflated. Every anemone I've ever had does that at least every couple days. They look sick and floppy, but within a few hours, they are back to normal.. If you notice a brown film coming from him, he may just be pooping..

Dead anemones detatch from the rock and blow around the tank while falling apart. If it's still on the rock, it's quite alive.

80-76 overnight is not a huge swing. Mine goes from 77 in the AM to 80 in the late afternoon every day.

The guy is still attached to the rock and I don't see any slime -- he's just all gray and very small.

I'll keep an eye on him and if he detaches I'll get him out ASAP.

Thanks for the info on the temp swing -- I've really been worried.

BTW -- all my parms are still at 0 and the SG is 1.022

Hey, how much do you feed your fish -- I bought some mysis shrimp (slap type not cubes) and some pellets. It's hard to say how much the two clowns eat since the water current seems to circulate the shrimp before they can eat all the food. Of course, the Fire shrimp comes running -- he loves dinner time.

-gene

I have the Outer Orbit light which has 3 x 150 MH and 4 PC (96w each).

Is that too much light for the anemone?

-gene

geno;165476 wrote: The guy is still attached to the rock and I don't see any slime -- he's just all gray and very small.

Hey, how much do you feed your fish -- I bought some mysis shrimp (slap type not cubes) and some pellets. It's hard to say how much the two clowns eat since the water current seems to circulate the shrimp before they can eat all the food. Of course, the Fire shrimp comes running -- he loves dinner time.

-gene

FWIW, I kill my pumps for at least 10 minutes when I feed. Depending on what I'm feeding, I may start the PH's after 10 minutes and then start the return pump after 30-60 minutes.

geno;165479 wrote: I have the Outer Orbit light which has 3 x 150 MH and 4 PC (96w each).

Is that too much light for the anemone?

-gene

Although you can have <u>too little</u>, I don't think you can really have <u>too much</u> light for an anemone. If he wants to adjust his environment (lighting, flow, etc.) he'll move to a spot he likes.

SG is kind of low. Not dangerously low.

geno;165476 wrote: The guy is still attached to the rock and I don't see any slime -- he's just all gray and very small.

-gene

First thanks for the "hand holding" through my first scare.

The anenome is doing fine -- he's puffed up and looking good. Sorry for the false alarm-- but thanks for all the reassurance that things were probably fine.

-geno

Yep, way back when I had just joined and my Condi deflated, I was FREAKED out too! I'm sure my post is somewhere around here ..

Glad he's doing fine now!

You know, I have 3 or 4 1st rate books -- not one of them says what you guys told me about my anemone! I'm really glad ya'll were there.

My wife was ready to storm back to the LFS and demand a refund or replacement.

Back