Could use some advice on skimmer

wolfie

Market
Reaction score
Octopus Recirc Needlewheel 110
That the 1 I have running on my 76GL tank, but it is noit giving me the skimmate I want. I am thinking of upgrading it to another skimmer. I do not want to over kill, but at the same time I like to have something better. I think the next skimmer will be like mine 5th 1 :p
Any idea thought?

BTW Octopus are comming out with the OCT extream, or something like that. Should I wait for them to come out with the new recirc?

I have the same skimmer and I think it rocks on my 125g. I know mine requires monthly maintenance of the venturi as it gets clogged with salt creep. I take mine apart and poke a nail through the venturi opening to clear the air path. If I don' t do this the skimmer does not perform that well.

I also did a mod to the to the venturi gasket. The gasket partially covers the venturi hole and seemingly reduces performance. I trimmed the inside of the gasket at an angle to open up this hole and it made a huge difference in the amount of air coming in. Here is a skimmate shot:
rps-1000.jpg
alt="" />

Yes, I have an Octopus NW-150, and its venturi gets clogged up on a regular basis too.

Take Sam's advice and make sure yours isn't clogged.

I replace the pump Thursday and clearn it out when I replace the pump.

I never did get it to pull out much. maybe I am doing something wrong with this skimmer.

The only mod I did to it drill the venturi hole and change out the venturi gasket with an #14 oring which open up the venturi hole.

what pump do you mean?

I use maxijet 400 as a feeding pump and the Octopus Turbine 1000 that come with the skimmer

The feed rate to your skimmer should be about 1 to 1.5 times your system volume (sump and display). You should probably have between 75 and 115 GPH going through the skimmer unless your sump adds a lot of volume. The MJ 400 is just about perfect. :)

sammy
so if I want more out of this skimmer then I am going to have to mash mod it? That the only thing I can think of as to mod. I do not want to go nut like those in the RC..

Barbara sorry ASM are not for me. I know they are great skimmer, but I rather have an outsump skimmer like the Octopus Recirc

I would try adjusting the feed rate up or down and see if that makes a difference first. I know that I have my feed rate set closer to 1 times the volume than 1.5 times the volume. If my feed rate is too fast it will only skim wet.

If you just can't get the skimmer to skim then the mesh mod will be the way to go. I have a Kill-a-watt and have some air flow meters on the way. I will probably mesh mod mine since I have two OTP 1000 pumps now. Let me know if you want to do yours and I can wait. Got any enkamat?

Wolfie, Sammy, if you want next saturday i can help you mod your skimmer. I got the meters... Im dont have any more #4 mesh but Cameron has some #4 mesh that he is willing to part with. I do have #6 mesh and GG but not as good as #4.

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_35&products_id=74">http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_35&products_id=74</a>

Octopus Recirc Needlewheel 200 $339.99
I got my eye set on this 1. Anyone know where I can get 1 for cheaper? Thought I ask first :p

I know it over kill for my tank right now. But I am thinking ahead. Be nice to have the skimmer ready when I upgrade to 120GL. Which going to be a long long time

I can get you a deal on a NW-200s, i have an extra one you can mod it to recirc if you want. I will be doing a little recirc mod also.

I am not much of an DIY guy. no tool in this appartment to really do anything and even if I have the tool I really do not have the space for it.

sammy33;123835 wrote: I have the same skimmer and I think it rocks on my 125g. I know mine requires monthly maintenance of the venturi as it gets clogged with salt creep. I take mine apart and poke a nail through the venturi opening to clear the air path. If I don' t do this the skimmer does not perform that well.

Sam, I have found that if you change the air intake to pull from the skimmer cup the humid air causes the venturi to clog A LOT less.

Back