Couple new toys & cycle starting

Reefchef

Supporting
Reaction score
I received a couple more toys today, my digital Milwaukee refractometer and my octo aquatics dual heater holder.

I also started my cycle today using bio spira. I know some of you guys have used this product. When using this to cycle should I ghost feed or anything to help it out, because I want to let it cycle at least two months. Guidance please, thanks!

20190816_230358.jpg20190816_230352.jpg20190816_225556.jpg

Since you are adding bacteria and waiting 2 months I wouldn’t do anything else. Good luck and with patience you appear to have your tank should be a success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used both products when starting up QT systems and putting fish in right after 1st filling the tank. If you've used the correct amount of Biospira you can add a couple fish now.

When doing any type of cycling there needs to be something for the bacteria to feed on. Dr Tim's ammonia is a good choice for this as it helps keep the tank clean if you're not going to put any fish in there. Using Biospira or Dr Tim's One & Only allow you to put some fish in the tank straight away. So there's something immediately for the bacteria to feed on.

If you have any questions on cycling feel free to ask them here or PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

+1 on Adams comments regarding biospira. Once added you'll need something to keep it going, if not fish consider some hermits. I also use a dose of Biospira when I clean my sumps out its really good stuff.

That Milwaukee refractometer is the best, bought one about a year ago and would not have a saltwater tank without one. Best of luck and post some postures, we love pictures!

My two cents...If no fish...ghost feed. Starting with a very small amount like the powder on your fingers when you crush flake up...and over the course of the cycle I slowly build how much I add. Might be just in my head... but I like to think I am growing the bacteria load up to an amount that can digest my larger feedings once I start them, by slowly adding fish and corals. It has always worked for me when cycling salt tanks. I have never had any major outbreaks of any kind of algae in my new tanks.

So I finally added the dr. Tim's ammonia today to get the cycle jump started. For any newbies like me or anyone that has never used bio spira or dr. Tim's all in one, you have to feed it ammonia for it populate good bacteria. This is if your not using a fish to cycle it. I tested the ammonia this evening, just for tickles. I know it's too early!!! I just wanted to check the level of the ammonia, it's about 1ppm.

@anit77 Thank you for taking the time to help me out the other day, I truly appreciate it.

20190820_230822.jpg

Not a problem at all, happy to help.

Oh, and if you test again today the ammonia should be zero already. Then check for Nitrite, it could quite possibly be zero too. At which point you'll have Nitrate. If all of that is true, and it should be, you'll see the magic of bacteria in a bottle. You can just keep adding ammonia every day or just let it go till your ready to finally add fish. Then add another dose of Biospira or Dr Tim's O&O.
If you do keep adding ammonia remember to keep the lights off so you don't start getting algae growing in there.

In the mean time get the QT going using one of those products and get a few fish going through the QT process.
Let me know if you have any more questions on setting up your QT tank.

Last edited:
I can see why a lot of you guys don't like these test kits, they are a bit hard to read!!! If I am reading and doing this correctly, it states the following. So should I hold off on adding anymore ammonia for today? Also I apologize in advance guys, I don't plan to test everyday but when I do I'll be asking questions on here. Sorry if they may seem novice to you, but that's what I am right now and living it!!!

Ammonia - .5
Nitrite - between 0 & .25 ppm
Nitrate - between 10 & 20 ppm

20190821_111734.jpg

Yea they are hard to read. I swear I'm somewhat colorblind, I can never read the ammonia correctly. I always ask for a second set of eyes

Ammonia and Nitrite are both a Yes or No kind of thing IMO - once you register they have existed in the tank, they should go down to zero - and stay at zero.

If you can measure Nitrate - but not measure Ammonia or Nitrite - you're good.

I tested again today, just to kind of get the feel. I can't read the ammonia to save my life!!! I can't tell if that is yellow or light green, nitrite is basically 0, and I'm registering nitrates.

I did receive a few more gadgets today, toggle switches for bob box and an adj power strip.
20190822_225453.jpg

20190822_230604.jpg

I believe you're supposed to hold the tube up against the white background to compared - otherwise it will take on ambient colors. I see a slight green in your photo, but it looks like you're close to zero on the ammonia.

Are the strip tests still garbage?

Ok, Cole days last! Ammonia is at 0, and nitrate, and nitrite I'll put pics below. Im making water now for the red sea ato, this thing does has some major evaporation! Scott was also nice enough to give me a stand for my skimmer and some red sea test kits! I appreciate that bro, everything helps in this hobby! I also need to order my filter cups, as my socks are dirty just from the sand and rocks.

20190824_234253.jpg20190824_234136.jpg

Don't bash me too bad guys, I know I need to start an official build thread!!! I'm a little lazy on that front! I did make some progress tonight, I was able to start configuring my controller board, running wires, get up my apex connected, connected my flow meter, and set up Apex fusion! Iwill connect my leak detection modules later. It's running a bit warm right now, as my wife decided to turn tve fan off today! Don't pay too much attention to the readings especially the salt, as it says it may take a few days for correct readings. I'll stop and get some velcro tomorrow for my vortech drivers and tighten up some cables tomorrow night.

20190828_005920.jpg20190828_005851.jpgScreenshot_20190828-003952_Samsung Internet.jpg

Alright, it's starting to look a lot cleaner! I spent an hour or so tonight after work cleaning up the wires, I still have to get a label maker and label everything. I have both of my powerheads connected and wired, adj power strip installed, and controller board mounted. Im not sure if im going to keep the skim mate locker or not, I don't know how I feel about the proximity to my electronics. Hopefully I'll have 2 more lights, diffusers, 3 slides, and my reeflink this weekend and get them installed. I have to order 2 6ft power cables to extend my heaters. After that it's time to turn my focus to my qt set up. Please let me know what you think so far. Thanks

20190829_000517.jpg20190829_000653.jpg20190829_000818.jpg

Reactions: bzb
Im not sure if im going to keep the skim mate locker or not, I don't know how I feel about the proximity to my electronics.

Plug a leak detector into that FMM module, put it near the base of that skim-mate locker and keep it. I have one and love it. Mine is wired to shut off my skimmer & alert me if the locker gets full. I also have a leak detector at the base incase the pressure switch they provide were to ever fail.

One additional benefit of having it setup this way is that I get alerted if something causes my skimmer to go crazy and start overflowing. The locker will fill up, shut the skimmer down and send me an email & alert.

Plug a leak detector into that FMM module, put it near the base of that skim-mate locker and keep it. I have one and love it. Mine is wired to shut off my skimmer & alert me if the locker gets full. I also have a leak detector at the base incase the pressure switch they provide were to ever fail.

One additional benefit of having it setup this way is that I get alerted if something causes my skimmer to go crazy and start overflowing. The locker will fill up, shut the skimmer down and send me an email & alert.
Thank you Leo, I actually have 2 leak detection sensors. I didn't think about that, I have once next to my sump so I'll put the other one at the base of the locker as you stated. The locker also has the pressure switch on it that I have to run to my bob at a later time!. Thank's

Back