covering up diy rock with live rock

downtime89

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys so i have always used diy rock in my tank and it has always looked good but not the best, i am about to start investing in live rock. Now i have a few pounds of live rock in my tank mixed in with my diy, now here is wat i am going to do i am going to leave all my current live rock in the tank mostly were it is even, then take live rock and place ontop of and around it. Wat i am wanting to know is how much live rock ill need to do this.

My tanks is a 7ft 125 gal, my diy rock is all the way across the back about halfway up the glass and a little less than 1 foot away from the back wall. So how much rock do ya think it will take for a cover up?

Edit: and like i said i do have a few really nice pieces throught the tank i can make sure stay to the front. And wat diy rock is not hidden wont look to bad if i chose the right pieces, i made it myself 2 years ago and it has really nice growth already.

You need about a pound per gallon in LR is rule of thumb for me. It's also what look do you like.

i know the pound per gallon rule i am looking for a idea about how much i need to make a layer on top of my diy rock

downtime89;677165 wrote: i know the pound per gallon rule i am looking for a idea about how much i need to make a layer on top of my diy rock

How ever much it takes bro.....rock is so different. Marco and Pukani will take alot less lb than other kinds of rock. I would start with 30-40 lb and fill in as needed.

7 ft 125 gallon? what are the dims front to back?

If its the typical 125 its 18" front to back

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Yea its the standard 125 i am planning on picking up 25 lbs today and then work with that for a while to i figure out how much i need.

thats what I thought - seems like it would fill up quickly with rock at 18"...

Back