Cow fish in a reef aquarium

wake125122

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone have a cow fish in their reef aquariums? I was thinking of adding one but I wanted to see everyone's experience with then. I hear they can be added with caution and they will leave the corals alone if well fed similar to the flame angles. What's everyones thoughts?

Will do I am posting on here and a few other sites to see what everyones xp with them is, It is a very different fish and I think it would go great with the corals.

They get very large. They're, IMO, water dogs. They'll beg for food once the see you near the tank. I'm not sure about bothering corals. They will release toxins when bothered or when they die killing off the rest of your tank.

Hmmm it sounds like it would be like having a nuke and then giving the button to a bunch of kids and telling them not to push it. X_x

I've seen one person on facebook with one. They said it never bothered anything, but if it's like a puffer, if not fed enough, it will likely eat some coral. I've lost a good number of zoas due to my puffer.

I had one a long while back in a tank with just softies (no expensive corals). He nipped at them occasionally but would stop as soon as I waved at him to stop, then he'd just go back to begging for food. He really was a "water dog" ;)

Shrimpybrains had one for a long time and it was pretty large. I think it was well behaved.

I've never put one in a reef but they are a very entertaining fish. Your small inverts are most at risk from a cowfish -and they do have the ability, like puffers, to release toxins that can kill your whole tank. It takes a lot to compel them to do that though, I've never seen it happen, personally.

Jenn

I've seen several people with small cowfish in their reef, but never anything more than 6 inches. I really like their personality though, and would love to add a scribbled boxfish or some of the smaller species in the same family.

Back