Crab Death Holdfast Adhesive

curator

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">The two topics in the title are not related.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Yesterday I purchased several invertebrates and some corals at Marine and Tropical Fish. Amongst my purchases were three emerald crabs, one of which died within a few hours of placing in my tank. I realize it’s impossible to know what the cause of death would have been, but wondering if anyone might suggest something. My water parameters are fine and I acclimated them very slowly.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Also, I purchased a product by the name of “Holdfast” made by Marineland, a clear tube of adhesive that is green and in appearance resembles florist clay. Has anyone used this product?</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"> </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Thanks,</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">John</span></span>

emerald crab prob died from stress, exhaustion, or aquatic lung cancer they have been known to smoke cigs in caves. Holdfast is great for adhering sps to rocks. It doesnt work like super glue. I have used holdfast on all kinds of corals and found its only really good for sps attatching to rock. Its not real plyable so its hard to mount anything soft.

And all this time I thought it was the gobies leaving those butts all over the place!

LOL!

Chris pretty much nailed it. Just like any other epoxy, it won't hold onto a softie. It's only okay at binding rocks, as you don't get much for the money and it doesn't stick will to the dirty rock surface. It really just makes a peice that two rocks fit perfectly in to.

Inverts are touchy so it could have been anything listed above. How long is a long acclimation to you?

That is more than enough IMO. Just wondering... was affraid you were going to say 10 minutes or something short. Inverts are touchy critters and can expire for any number of reasons. I wouldn't let it concern me especially if everything else is doing well in your tank.

Back