Crab Q

rdrink25

Market
Reaction score
My Anemone Crab looks like he lost a claw. Is this normal how would he of lost it? Will it grow back over time?

photo-1.jpg
alt="" />

Sorry to hear that he lost a claw, but I am about 99% sure that it will grow back over time.

No idea. My shrimp lost a leg once, and he did grow it back after a molt. Considering a claw is much bigger than a leg, I would say maybe a couple of molts.

I used to have porcelains in my nano , they would once in awhile loose a claw from pulling too hard at the rock , or fighting over food with hermits. It doesn't seem to bother them since they have other shorter legs that they can get by with till the next molt . Mine always had a replacement claw after the next molt. Do you get to see your porcelain alot, some are known to hide but mine were in a 5.5 gallon so they were almost always there to see.

Porcelain crabs drop claws easily...it's a defense mechanism. Next molt it should grow a new one that'll get bigger with each successive molt until it's good as new.

Now, if something in your tank's decided it likes the taste and starts picking on the crab more, this could become a more permanent condition.

Thanh386;748282 wrote: I'm trying to kill mine... With a vengeance !!

why i never heard of porcellans causing any problems. ill take him before you kill him (ill trade you my peppermint shrimp gang from hell)

something probably pulled it off.. got a pistol shrimp? When i had my porcelain crab the pistol always went after it and took off a claw. Eventually he got almost all his limbs and he died :(

Back