Crabs

bruce 1

Market
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting/adding 150 crabs and 150 snails to my tank. My question is: How to add them?
My tank and fish have been all very carefully added (quarantined) to make sure of no pest (ick or parasites) All of my fish have been in the tank now a few years.
A friend added some crabs to his tank last year and he had a big out break of ICK, and lost most of his fish. All of his fish had went through the same quarantine as mine and had never seen a sign of any thing.

So I am worried about adding new crabs to my tank for the same reason.

I know that crabs and snails do not contract ICK but the water they are in could have the parasites and eggs of Ick or other parasites. So how would I make sure none of the water gets into my tank?
Thanks Bruce

I guess I will not be adding any then. Broke down my qt tank a while back.

I think the chances of infection would be remote if yo scope them out without dumping the water they came in into the tank. If it were me, I wouldn't worry much. Maybe feed Focus and metro for a few days prior and for a week after just to increase the fish immune systems.

I've never heard of inverts transferring ich or other pathogens. They aren't hosts.

Never add bag water to your tank. Ever. Other than that, I don't see any issue.

Jenn

Acclamate them with your tank water like you would a fish, several times if it makes you feel better.
Then there shouldn't be ANY of the previous water or any other remains in there shells.

Heck you could keep them in containers in your sump, feed them to get them to open up and do another water change... That would make me feel really safe!

Back