Cracked bulkhead holes

benpoole28

Market
Reaction score
Getting ready to install bulkheads into my 150, noticed the area around the holes had surface damage. The glass was cracked on the top and bottom, causing some flakes of glass to flake off. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but I'm sure the bulkhead seals won't seal. Anyone know any tips on how to fix this, I'm thinking of siliconing 1/4 glass on top and bottom. Any other ways to fix?
Thanks

I personally would buy a new tank I wouldn't trust 150 gallons worth of weight against a cracked bulkhead hole

Pictures would be helpful.

Never put silicone on bulkheads.

If it's just "rough" around the edges of the hole, tiny scalloping in the glass, I wouldn't worry about it.

But if there is a crack, you would be best to replace the tank. A crack will grow as soon as there's pressure on it and we know how that ends.

Jenn

The picture on the left, radiating from the hole, down and out to the bottom left, is that a crack?

The scalloping is worse than I would trust, but if that is a crack, the tank is done, IMO.

benpoole28;982299 wrote: The glass is layered, the cracks don't go deeper that the first layer.

Yet. While the overflow box doesn't have as much water in it, the rest of the tank will weigh around 1200 lbs or so, when it's full.

I wouldn't do it.

Sorry - expensive to replace, but cheaper to replace it before filling it, than after it's full and it bursts.

The chip wouldn't bother me as bad as the cracking. I am with Jenn and Coop. I wouldn't trust it.

Tempered glass shatters into a gazillion smithereens.

Yeah, found that out being lazy and assuming the back of my 55 wasn't tempered. Makes a loud boom too. I'm going to get a good magnifying glass and make sure there are not any running cracks. If not I'm going to try my repair and hope for the best. Hopefully it won't bite me in the a$$.

Rare for the sides of a tank to be tempered.

How do you plan to repair it? Short of replacing a pane of glass - at that rate you might as well get a new tank with a warranty.

If you decide to use that tank, make sure you have a water escape rider on your homeowners or renters insurance, and the premium is paid.

Jenn

JennM;982467 wrote: Rare for the sides of a tank to be tempered.

How do you plan to repair it? Short of replacing a pane of glass - at that rate you might as well get a new tank with a warranty.

If you decide to use that tank, make sure you have a water escape rider on your homeowners or renters insurance, and the premium is paid.

Jenn

So standard homeowner policy doesn't cover a tank that explodes? I know livestock isn't usually covered (can I get my frags insured) but thought the result/damages would be.

I'm not an insurance agent, and I don't play one on TV. I would check your policy for specifics and ask if it's not specified.

There's nothing like finding out afterwards that it wasn't an insured peril.

Back in Canada, when I had renters (like 100 years ago), we had a water bed and several tanks in a 9th floor apartment. I had a separate rider for water escape. It cost about $6 per year over and above my policy premium but it was specific - so if my tank (or bed) leaked and damaged my apartment and the one(s) below, it was covered.

Better to check than find out the hard way.

Jenn

Ad an aircraft tech, you know better! Don't do it.

Tanks are cheap compared to the damage to your home. Not worth it in a million years.

Yeah, I do know better. Just seems like a shame to scrap such an otherwise nice tank.

Plug the holes and sell it as a reptile cage so you can recoup some money towards a new tank just to be on the safe side.

Butch;982762 wrote: Plug the holes and sell it as a reptile cage so you can recoup some money towards a new tank just to be on the safe side.

There you go. Brilliant!

Back