Cracked glass tank !

charlieborg

Market
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I have a question. How long can I keep my corals and fish in a cooler while I fix my tank?
I have everything in the biggest Orca cooler. I also got a heater, airstone, and power head for circulation in it. I have a t5 blue light over it for the corals. I may try to put the protein skimmer in it if need be too.
So what're your thoughts? It's been in the cooler since Friday. Still waiting on the silicone to cure and do a test on it.
It's a new set up. All frags and a few fish. 150 tall tank.

Well, apparently the stand I had it on was not level. So the bottom cracked all the way across the bottom middle of the tank. I cleaned the bottom silicone off and applied a generous amount of silicone on the crack and all over the bottom. I then put a piece of acrylic to fit the whole bottom of the tank on the inside and put it on the fresh silicone. Then I silicone all the edges. I'm hoping this will work!​

I herd that Acrylic doesn't adhere to silicone well and over time . any one have any experance with that ?​

Thanks, Chuck.

How did the water test go? The only tank to ever crack on me was also a 150 tall in the exact manner. As for acrylic/silicone/glass, I’ve never tried but through past research I wouldn’t trust it. Better to just buy a new tank.

The biggest problem is the acrylic is going to warp over time. As that happens it will pull way from the glass.

I've siliconed a piece of glass over the holes in a bottom drilled tank. But if the actual bottom (or any other panel) is cracked I would never trust it to hold water for any length of time again.

How did the water test go? The only tank to ever crack on me was also a 150 tall in the exact manner. As for acrylic/silicone /glass, I’ve never tried but through past research I wouldn’t trust it. Better to just buy a new tank.
don’t trust it to stay sealed. I may get a peace of thi

Test went ok. I just don’t trust it. I may gets thick peace of glass and seal seal it again. But for now I’m using my old 120 acrylic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back