crazy question...

frag freak

Market
Reaction score
So Years ago I bought a pico tank from a member and he had a large SPS tank. We got to talking and he told me how the "less" he put his hand in the tank (more like arm) the better the SPS did.

He was an Asian guy (sorry I forgot your S/N) but he was telling me about how his uncle overseas gave him a tip about these asian guys overseas using asprin for their SPS displays. I can't remember what the convo was all about because a lot has happened since then ..... but I was just reminded of it.

has anyone heard of this?

It was an offhand conversation but I love hearing about different methods people use.

:)

never heard of it.
i actually just did a google search , and while someone in 2007 asked the same question on RC... it was a short lived thread and no one posted anything positive about it.

Thank you snow man.... I did a search too and found nothing.

I was hoping someone might chime I that has heard it.....

Thanks again.

I just wish my memory was as good as my parameters.

While anecdotal, I can confirm through experience and logic the benefit of keeping your hands out of the system.

I was in Korea last year for about 6 months and my system received basic maintenance, but no hands to speak of. My coral exploded over that time. I think not only does the lack of constant chemicals and oils from your skin help, but other things play a factor too. Think about your skimmer when your hands go in. It stops producing skimmate for a while because the oils change how the surface tension of water reacts with air. How does this affect our corals' exterior?

If not that, then let's consider why our hands our in the tank? We move corals, we adjust flow, we disturb rocks.

SPS, and to a lesser extent all corals love stability. Our hands are the very antithesis of the stability our corals crave. I don't think, from a logical perspective, the argument is hard to support.

Yep, keeping hands out can be a benefit. Some of us have a propensity to tinker things right to death.

I would maintain though, that limited 'hands in' is necessary and recommended. Someone of my acquaintance had bunch of issues that were unresolved for weeks... until he *finally* put his hand in the tank and discovered it was cold. His controller had failed and while it thought the tank was 78, it was 60-something. If he'd put his hand in as soon as he noticed a problem, he might have fixed the problem on the spot.

When crap happens, dip a finger in :) Otherwise, try to limit hands in to weekly maintenance.

And watch out for hazards like lotion, perfume/cologne, bug spray, soap... I've seen hand lotion wipe out several tanks over the years.

Jenn

Voltage won't hurt you. AMPS will hurt you.

The gal that used to work for me, could sense voltage if she had a cut on her finger. If she felt a tingle, she'd whip out the volt meter.

I do NOT recommend putting appendages with open wounds into your tank - it opens the door to all kinds of nasty infections - after 15 years I think she's probably immune by now, since nothing has killed her yet.

Jenn

Back