crazy skimmer idea

sagent3000

Market
Reaction score
what would be the harm in making a protein skimmer square? it would hold more volume that a circle skimmer. what would be the drawbacks

wouldnt the water not circulate as well in a square container as compared to a circular one? you need bubbles which are created by the pump shooting into the chamber spinning around reaching the top with your goo...I could be totally off though lol

i have a CPR bakpak protein hang on skimmer that is squre on my 80 gallon and that thing works wonders.

the water would circulate fine i think. the water moves fine if i have a square calcium reactor. so what would be the difference? i was going to set it up just like an ASM skimmer and have 3 sedra pumps recirculating the water in the skimmer

lots of people have made square skimmers. I built one a long time ago for my nano. The main thing about skimmers is the air to water intake ratio....and less turbulence inside the body.

circular body give you higher contact time than other shapes .... and you can reduce turbulence which inturn gives you the ability to pump more water through the skimmer.

Read over this thread. I'm sure you could do the same design but larger.

index.php

Barbara;183269 wrote: William, are you thinking of doing this simply because it is easier to cut and glue the 4 walls versus finding a round cylinder of acrylic? I don't know an awful lot about skimmer types, but it does seem to me that you'd get better performance out of a round one. Although if you're going to put 3 pumps on it to recirc, round versus square might not be an issue with that much flow.

i was thinking that the 3 pumps would negate the fact that the skimmer was square. i am sure making a round one would be easier because the parts are already made they just have to be glued together

Back