CUC

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I hate to admit it but it’s been forever since I’ve added any sort of cuc to my tank. I had a few hermits but the big ones ended up evicting the Smaller ones from their shells and then they just sort of all disappeared. I’ve got one lone snail that was a hitchhiker but I need some more snails/crabs. What are your favorites for bare bottom tanks? I’ve got a little bit of hair algae that the hermits worked on And I’ve got some detritus buildup on the bottom.

We do snails only because we found the hermits will eventually kill the snails and steal their shells, then die off themselves. We have a mix of cerith snails and trochus (which are nice because they can flip themselves over if they fall, and can reproduce in the tank). We usually stay away from turbos because they sometimes like to rearrange the corals :)

For algae snails; I love the Red stripe Trochus and Nano conchs... they do a great job and will reproduce for years and years. No need to replenish.

For detritus snails; Some species of Tongan Nassarius will also reproduce.

For small hermits, I haven’t found any that reproduce yet... but I’m a fan of the dwarf zebra hermits and scarlet reef hermits. Scarlets will live a bit longer than many other small hermits.

...and I agree. In my experience, turbos bulldoze corals, and are time bombs that just release nutrients back into the tank.

Yeah not gonna thrown any turbos in. I have two large astreae snails That keep the glass looking good. My tanks a little small for turbos and I don’t feel like having them push things around like the astreae do

For algae snails; I love the Red stripe Trochus and Nano conchs... they do a great job and will reproduce for years and years. No need to replenish.

For detritus snails; Some species of Tongan Nassarius will also reproduce.

For small hermits, I haven’t found any that reproduce yet... but I’m a fan of the dwarf zebra hermits and scarlet reef hermits. Scarlets will live a bit longer than many other small hermits.

...and I agree. In my experience, turbos bulldoze corals, and are time bombs that just release nutrients back into the tank.
What is a nano conch?

What is a nano conch?
Ummm... lol. It’s an algae eating snail (specifically a conch) native to marine environments. They reproduce in aquariums, and are very small. They grow to probably 3mm or so. What did you want to know?

Here’s photos from google images, if it helps.
The name you’ll see often associated with this common name is Strombus maculatus... but I haven’t confirmed that accuracy.

894B9BC7-5078-4C9C-A245-BE8D2262F8E9.jpeg

I threads I found when I googled couldn't seem to agree on what the name was. I found Strombus maculatus, Columbellidae, dove snail....one guy said they were carnivorous. Just wanted to make sure I was looking at the right thing.

Cool beans. Did you get it now?

Once again, I cannot confirm Strombus Maculatus. But it’s definitely not a Collumbellidae (dove snail).

And they are herbivores, and are non-carnivorous.

Back