Curious

chuck

Supporting
Reaction score
A local reefer asked me a question. He had to break down his tank due to new flooring. He kept rock in a tote with powerhead. Disposed of his sand. So when adding new sand and cycled rock. Is it safe for coral and fish

Most likely it will need to cycle, most of the bacteria will die off in the tote. Even if it didn’t completely die off it wouldn’t be enough but not enough data here to say for sure.

interesting ok. Can he add some bacteria or do you think its a 50% chance or even less

interesting ok. Can he add some bacteria or do you think its a 50% chance or even less
There will be a cycle, no question about that. He can limit it by adding bacteria and using live sand but there will be some level of a cycle.

Did he have a heater in the tote and add any food source for the bacteria?

From what I’ve researched, most of the bacteria is in the rock more than the sand. I did that full rip clean with sand rinsed and everything and didn’t really have any huge algae outbreak or a cycle.

From what I’ve researched, most of the bacteria is in the rock more than the sand. I did that full rip clean with sand rinsed and everything and didn’t really have any huge algae outbreak or a cycle.
Not sure where you heard that. The surface area of the sand is orders of magnitude greater than the rock. Pukani, Figi and some Tonga do have a decent amount of of surface area but the sand is still more. With Marco and other dense rock, forget it. The sand is probably 1000:1

There's enough bac in the live rock to be fine without using the old sand. Transferring the old sand without completely rinsing in until its clear can cause a cycle. Otherwise it's basically a 100% water change.

Back