Currently running AIO Biopellets but not 100% Satisfied

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am running All In One biopellets on my 60-gallon and 250-gallon reef tanks. I also run a combination of gfo, phosguard, ChemiPure and Purigen in both tanks. For the most part, corals and fish are happy but I still battle brown / green hair algae (mostly in the 250) periodically. Water changes and media replacements usually balances the system up and things are back to normal.

My main issue with the AIO biopellets is at it generates the brown dust and it gets everywhere. I use a sock on the output of each biopellet reactor. I have a skimmer in each tank. Bio Pellets are awesome ar reducing nitrates but not for Phosphate.

I have been researching options away from biopellets. These are the options I am considering:

1. Vinegar dose, supplement gfo and ChemiPure as needed.
2. Grow cheatophoma in my sump, supplement gfo and ChemiPure as needed.
3. Run different biopellets, in hopes that other biopellets are not as "dirty" , supplement gfo and ChemiPure.

May I receive your opinions / recommendations? Maybe others have been in this position and have words of wisdom.

Thanks,

cvo

I run BRS bio pellets and I haven't noticed any dust. I do run the reactors output directly into my skimmers intake. This has worked well for me for several years. Also running gfo and carbon as needed.

Thank you Chris for your recommendation. BRS biopellets are the creamy white pellets. Since the all in one biopellets are not controlling phosphate very well, it is not worth the extra cost and trouble of dealing with the brown dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used ecobak bio pellets in the past and have had no issues with them. Worked great with no dust. The brown dust from the all-in-ones is the gfo that blended into the pellet

Thanks for the feedback on the different brands of biopellets which are working well. The more I think about the implementation of blending gfo into biopellets, I think it is a bad idea. When I first started using the All In One biopellets, I thought there was something special in these biopellets that promoted some bacteria which consumed phosphate naturally - this was about two years ago. Only recently, after reading a long thread on Reef Central, did I learn gfo is used in the AIO BP. The company that manufacturer (DVH) does not state anywhere in the literature that GFO is used for phosphate removal. Because if they did state it, you would know that at some point, you would have gfo floating and collecting in your sump and some may get up to your tank. Also, the amount of gfo used isn't enough to properly remove the proportionate about of phosphate. I starting using socks to filter the gfo recently and have learned that it clogs the biopellet socks in two weeks.

Link to the AIO biopellets - manufacturer's literature (no mention to using gfo):
http://www.dvh-import.com/index.php/products/all-in-one-biopellets.html">http://www.dvh-import.com/index.php/products/all-in-one-biopellets.html</a>

I will definitely be switching biopellets. Does anyone run biopellets and dose vinegar for phosphate removal? I know that I am using multiple methods to do the same thing, but I believe in redundancy.

Overall, my tanks are doing well. Just looking for ways to optimize how I am running my tanks. I have not dosed vinegar or grown cheatophoma, I am interested to hear your experience with different methods of nitrate and phosphate export.

A photo of my 60-gallon tank:
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend> [IMG]http://atlantareefclub.org/boards/data/uploads/attachments/1078187=66991-image.jpg>
1078187=66991-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Vinegar and bio-pellets both work better on nitrates . What do your phosphates read?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks Glenn - reefing is truly a joy!

Hi Joey, the phosphate was 0.11 ppm a month and a half ago when I was fighting hair algae. I then added gfo and phosguard, now my phosphate is around 0.03 ppm. Also, I did 3 water changes to remove the algae on the sand. i wasn't even checking phosphate until I had the hair algae (last month). Should I expect to use gfo when dosing vinegar? Or growning cheatomorpha?

Back