Custom acrylic tank help....

taftonomos

Market
Reaction score
I need one 8'x3'x15" tank for my frag room. Actually, it could be 4' wide, and it doesn't have to be 15" tall either, 12" would suffice.

I'm torn between ordering the material and glueing it myself (first timer), or having it made somewhere. A big problem in having it made is going to be transporting a 8' long tank as I only have a mid-sized SUV (trailblazer).

Any ideas? GC has a 4x3x8" tank which would work, but driving 11 hours, but driving 8 hours round trip isn't my idea of fun either :) not the depth I want either.

I'd like to stick to a 3' wide tank as I'll be using luminarc-type reflectors which according to what I've read and seen, will light a 2x3 footprint fairly well.

I know Jeep9783 has a beautiful custom frag tank set up, custom made out of acrylic and center drilled overflow for sale. I was eyeing it yesturday when I was at his place picking up some corals. Send him a PM!

I moved my 7' tank without any problems in a F150, so you shouldn't have any issues... Let me know if you need help moving... I had mine built at MRC, check with Tim...

Check with Woody.He is a sponsor here and does great work.
a>

Hmm, calling around. It's **** hard to beat GC prices...

48x36x15 rimless for $240, so total $560 delivered on the Dec 17th.

So far the acrylic tanks are starting at $800 and going up quite a ways from there. 1k is a big chunk to bite off for a "home" experiment frag system :)

I know what you mean... I have been looking at the 48x24x13 rimless myself...

Taft glass cages is not known for quality, i have seen some of there products. Sloppy workmanship.

I just picked my custom tank from Glass Cages a couple of weeks ago. Very scenic 4.5 hours each way. :) But it was cool seeing their facility. 1000's of custom tanks either being built or ready to ship. The people that run the place were very polite on the phone and in person. The tank, stand, and sump were perfect. I think that they have changed as a few folks on here have bought from them recently and not had any issues.

Darren

chrisjet;102834 wrote: Taft glass cages is not known for quality, i have seen some of there products. Sloppy workmanship.

It's a frag tank man. When it boils down to $$, as long as it holds water, and can make me some $$ on the side, it works.

I can get double the tank(s) from GC as I can from a local business, and as much as I'd like to support the local businesses (I've already bought a few skimmers from Andy/Tim - MRC), I simply can't spend twice the price for a frag tank....

GC will be here Dec 16/17, for $80 I think I'll wait and save the gas.

Think if you buy two the delivery charge will be the same? We can split... LMK.

SuAsati;102950 wrote: Think if you buy two the delivery charge will be the same? We can split... LMK.

I believe they will only charge me one delivery charge, although I'm sure I'd need to pay for all the tanks at one time. I'm sure we can work something out.

Back