Custom LED/T5 Light Mount

ghbrewer

Market
Reaction score
Alright, so I am thinking that I am going to add some T5 supplements to my 300w maxspect razor. I already do not like the tank mounts on the Razor, so this was going to happen regardless of whether or not I was going to add T5s. I have seen a lot of information and feedback from users that are running both T5 and LED combos, and it all seems to point to positive results.

I picked up a T5 retrofit kit online a while back, it came with the end caps, reflectors, and ballast. The one thing that I have not figured out yet is what the spacing between the endcaps needs to be. I realize that it must fit a 48" bulb, but I am not sure how much play it needs to have, etc.. I would like to find a resource for what the exact dimensions are from screw to screw for mounting it.

Once I have the dimensions figured out, I will try and draw it up schematically in AutoCAD. I am thinking that I will probably go with EZTube for the assembly itself. You can get it in different powder coat colors, so I can get it in gloss white to match my stand. They also have all sorts of connectors (elbows, tees, etc..) for assembly. If that does not look like it will work well, I will just use extruded aluminum tubing such as 80/20.

Now if there was only someone who knew the exact dimension that is needed between those brackets....

ghbrewer;1012134 wrote: haven't came across one that struck my fancy...yet

View attachment 59043
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1012135=59043-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422853701.167209.jpg
>
1012135=59043-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422853701.167209.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422853701.167209.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

That looks nice, but I really do not want to hang the fixture from the ceiling unless I could get it to mechanically raise and lower. I have seen fixtures/canopies that are automated using moving tracks and/or wenches in the attic, just not sure I want to go to all of the trouble.

The only fixtures I would ever consider hanging static would be a gloss white Giesemann, or Pacific Sun fixture. They are just sexy looking lights...lol

Otherwise I would just like the light to rest on the front and back end of the tank. I know that it will block a small portion of the tank on the front, but it would be easy to remove for tank maintenance, if needed.

ghbrewer;1012166 wrote: That looks nice, but I really do not want to hang the fixture from the ceiling unless I could get it to mechanically raise and lower. I have seen fixtures/canopies that are automated using moving tracks and/or wenches in the attic, just not sure I want to go to all of the trouble.

The only fixtures I would ever consider hanging static would be a gloss white Giesemann, or Pacific Sun fixture. They are just sexy looking lights...lol

Otherwise I would just like the light to rest on the front and back end of the tank. I know that it will block a small portion of the tank on the front, but it would be easy to remove for tank maintenance, if needed.

Ati hanging kits are super easy to raise and lower. Could hang the actual canopy with the same mechanics (I have extra pieces). Just throwing it out there. :)

Just looked at the ATI kit, I'll give it some thought Tony. It would be nice not having anything blocking the view of the tank and have to worry about knocking it down.

Also, it is the best time of the year to go attic crawling if I had to, it is brutal in the summer...lol

I am wondering if I add 2 54w t5 bulbs, which I should go with. Research online suggests either ATI Blue+ or Coral+, but not sure would be the best matchup for the Razor 16k. Leaning towards the Coral+ just b/c I am thinking that I need more green yellow and red to round out the color spectrum.

The Razor 16k does have warm white LEDs, so I am not certain it is all that necessary. I guess it just comes down to which of the two puts out more PAR.

Regarding your original question, I would just grab an old bulb, put the end caps on, and take a measurement.

I just took a measurement and it looks like from screw to screw in the endcaps is 46.5".

I went with Purple+ and Coral+ with my AI Sols. It looks a little pink when my whites are up but when the blues are dominant it looks real good. I lost some red in my LPS and it's been looking coming back since adding the T5s.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think that I want to run T5. I have the maxspect listed for sale, gonna see if I get any bites. If it sells, then I will probably get a 48" 6 bulb ATI Dimmable fixture. May take Tony's lead and add one or two of the Reefbrite strips, or something similar. If the maxspect doesn't sell relatively quickly, then I will build a rack to mount it on and add a couple T5 retros that I have on each side.

I'm in same boat with my 75g rimless with 2 Kessil a360s. Wanting to add supplemental t5s but kinda stuck after that lol.

Back