Custom sump..

indecloudzua

Market
Reaction score
Anyone here good at building them? I'm kinda low on spare time. I have a 40b I was going to make into a sump for my 150. Would like to avoid having to buy an expensive commercial one if possible.
Thanks in advance.
Chris

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
7c96eec15c14d3f360b9e1da81712391.jpg
alt="" />

Wish u close to me Chris. I can lend u a hand. I enjoy diy sump
Text me for some pics 404-421-4670

Im confused, Do you want someone to turn the 40 b into a sump of scratching that idea and build a new acrylic sump.

I think Ricky has given me good ideas if I want to try and make it myself out of the 40b. But if anyone builds acrylic ones I wouldn't mind hearing what they might be able to do

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I made mine in about 2 hours, if that. Got glass cut to exact size at lowes to save time and aggravation of cutting myself. Used precut 2x4's as spacers, cut to length of the space between baffles. Stack, silicone, stack, silicone, etc.... No sweat.

I've torn all the dividers in my sump out. I don't have micro bubbles going into the tank, so what's the point of them? Just a clean 48x18 sump lets me change my mind on equipment and move things around without getting boxed in.

Dividers are to set constant water height for skimmer, or section off refuge or reaction chambers. Also helps out your ato and salinity levels when your return pump chamber is only big enough for your pump not to get starved. Making it to where it gets filed small amounts multiple times daily rather that large amounts at one time.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'm hoping to silicone in all of my glass pieces for my 40br sump this weekend. Had glass cut to size. If I do, I'll take a pic for you and post it to give you some ideas.

benpoole28;1073781 wrote: I made mine in about 2 hours, if that. Got glass cut to exact size at lowes to save time and aggravation of cutting myself. Used precut 2x4's as spacers, cut to length of the space between baffles. Stack, silicone, stack, silicone, etc.... No sweat.

I'm about to get started on my sump as well. What did Lowes charge you if you don't mind me asking. I'm looking to use 1/4 in baffles in mine.

I used 3/16, 4 pieces, around 15 bucks I think. I'm sure 1/4 is more but not much. I would ask them to knock the sharp, cut edges off, or do it yourself with some sandpaper. I forgot to do so and cut myself while reaching in my sump.

benpoole28;1074068 wrote: I used 3/16, 4 pieces, around 15 bucks I think. I'm sure 1/4 is more but not much. I would ask them to knock the sharp, cut edges off, or do it yourself with some sandpaper. I forgot to do so and cut myself while reaching in my sump.

3/16 would probably work just fine to. I've got a 30g tank that was a sump that a friend gave me. He used very thin picture frame glass for the baffles. They were all cracked and way to thin to be used so I knocked them out and am starting over. Man did I cut my hands up trying to get those things out.

Back