Custom tank builders

brandonmason

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone know any local glass tank builders. Looking for a peninsula build 400 in glass.

There seemed to be a void when I explored this last year...

(excited about that tank btw;))

Thanks Tony, in working on the second 200 it occurred that it would be cheaper to just combine the 2 tanks and be done with it.

BrandonMason;1006376 wrote: Thanks Tony, in working on the second 200 it occurred that it would be cheaper to just combine the 2 tanks and be done with it.

Great call. My dream tank is like a 12' long, 30 inch wide and 18-20" tall peninsula... not sure how i'd get flow in there without closed loop. Need a house for that first lol

So maybe I need new dreams :eek:

tonymission;1006380 wrote: Great call. My dream tank is like a 12' long, 30 inch wide and 18-20" tall peninsula... not sure how i'd get flow in there without closed loop. Need a house for that first lol

So in other terms..... You want a swimming pool inside your house with fish in it? I like you!! :up:

Last time I checked, there were only a handful. MRC builds both acrylic and glass that I was sure about with a name to back up their work. Lots of passionate hobbits turn crafter though. If you are in a rush contact Felix at reef savvy. Their tanks are praised by most owners. The tank I bought was surprising cheap. Maybe they have extra glass in the size I needed. But time frame is around 6 monthes or more.

BrandonMason;1006339 wrote: Does anyone know any local glass tank builders. Looking for a peninsula build 400 in glass.

We do a lot of MRC's Hybrid Aquariums. We have one on the floor if you want to come check it out. They're uber nice and the general turn around time is around 6-8 weeks.

If you have the cash, I'd go with a MRC tank. Anything they make is uber nice.

SEA Atlanta;1006490 wrote: We do a lot of MRC's Hybrid Aquariums. We have one on the floor if you want to come check it out. They're uber nice and the general turn around time is around 6-8 weeks.

Can they make something like a coast to coast "ghost overflow"? Very low profile with the external box with more volume.

tonymission;1006498 wrote: Can they make something like a coast to coast "ghost overflow"? Very low profile with the external box with more volume.

They can. I had them quote me a big tank awhile back with a coast to coast with external overflow box. I did the drawings and just sent it to them and got a price back. Then I lost funding for the tank after the fact. :doh:

EcoReefGuy;1006474 wrote: Last time I checked, there were only a handful. MRC builds both acrylic and glass that I was sure about with a name to back up their work. Lots of passionate hobbits turn crafter though. If you are in a rush contact Felix at reef savvy. Their tanks are praised by most owners. The tank I bought was surprising cheap. Maybe they have extra glass in the size I needed. But time frame is around 6 monthes or more.
I'll look into it thanks
SEA Atlanta;1006490 wrote: We do a lot of MRC's Hybrid Aquariums. We have one on the floor if you want to come check it out. They're uber nice and the general turn around time is around 6-8 weeks.
I've got one quote already but looking at other builders to compare

BrandonMason;1006504 wrote: I've got one quote already but looking at other builders to compare

I went through the same process you are going through 2 years ago. The only local builder I'm aware of that could build a tank like you want is MRC.

You should get quotes from a couple builders ... decent variances in quality & price.

tonymission;1006380 wrote: Great call. My dream tank is like a 12' long, 30 inch wide and 18-20" tall peninsula... not sure how i'd get flow in there without closed loop. Need a house for that first lol

DO IT!

I upgraded tanks from a 29g to my 10x3x3'. I had to cut big holes in the hardwood for the supports, so I planned everything out to time it perfectly. The crew waited down the street and as soon as my wife left the house, BOOM, it was on like donkey kong! Holes in the floor, steel supports welded on site, and a point of no return! :up:

Skriz;1006650 wrote: DO IT!

I upgraded tanks from a 29g to my 10x3x3'. I had to cut big holes in the hardwood for the supports, so I planned everything out to time it perfectly. The crew waited down the street and as soon as<span style="color: Red"> my wife left the house, BOOM, it was on like donkey kong</span>! Holes in the floor, steel supports welded on site, and a point of no return! :up:

Theres a good pun in here somewhere.

Customs tanks from MRC are just that- customized exactly to what you want. From materials to overflow design to plumbing location. All is completely customizable.

Something to cosnider for custom tanks (and large ones at that)- it's not the size and cost of the tank that is the worrisome factor. That number is relatively benign compared to the damage to your home a poorly or cheaply built aquarium that leaks will cause. Saltwater is a corrosive liquid, and water damage can accelerate massively financially. Be comfortable in the aquarium that you purchase.

SEA Atlanta;1006777 wrote: Theres a good pun in here somewhere.

Customs tanks from MRC are just that- customized exactly to what you want. From materials to overflow design to plumbing location. All is completely customizable.

Something to cosnider for custom tanks (and large ones at that)- it's not the size and cost of the tank that is the worrisome factor. That number is relatively benign compared to the damage to your home a poorly or cheaply built aquarium that leaks will cause. Saltwater is a corrosive liquid, and water damage can accelerate massively financially. Be comfortable in the aquarium that you purchase.

I want mine customized with Raj's PIN number on it. Can you make that happen for me. I will cut you in on it. :)

rdnelson99;1006803 wrote: I want mine customized with Raj's PIN number on it. Can you make that happen for me. I will cut you in on it. :)

Of course I can make that happen. The price on it though.....:tongue:

Back