Cutting down sump

ericmcj31

Market
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone knew about cutting acrylic and glueing it back? The problem is my sump is too long to fit under my tank, so I'm gonna have to cut off about 8 inches. I don't think we'll have a problem cutting it, but what do I use to glue it back together? Also, does anyone know about drilling a (glass) tank with water and fish already in them? Ihave the HOB overflow boxes, but would really like the drilled look if it could be done with out draining tank. Thanks in advance.

best thing to cut it with would be a table saw.
to glue it together use weld-on#3 or#4
here is a link DIY acrilic glueing:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=169326">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=169326</a>
also make sure all the edges are smoth and square before you try to join them.and the blade you use to cut it has a min of 80teeth so that it will give you a clean smooth cut.

ohh forgot to tell you cant be done with the sump filled you will need to drain it and then do the cutting
you also will need to wait at least 3 days before you refill the sump
so that it can cure compleatly and you dont get any hazing

Cutting any type of plastic just freakin blows!

Would rather stick a hot poker in my eye.

maxius;97758 wrote: ohh forgot to tell you cant be done with the sump filled you will need to drain it and then do the cutting

:doh: Is that why my table saw is all rusty!?

I've seen how some people will brace the center of the tank with a couple of braces and take out the center support that 's on the tank-slide in the sump, and then put the support board back. Has anyone had any success at this with the tank full of water?? What are you guys' thoughts on that?

I've seen it done, but haven't done it myself. Shouldn't be a problem as long as the bracing is adequate and you don't allow the stand to sag so you don't crack the tank and can get the support back in!

I designed my stand so the sump could slide in & out without removing the supports, but I also made the braces removable so that I could change to a bigger sump in the future if I feel the need. I'd use 2x4's and a bottle jack to build a temporary support when/if the time comes.

Back