Cutting Dry Rock

jd22

Market
Reaction score
What is the best tool for cutting dry rock? I'm looking to shape some larger rocks into better looking/smaller pieces.

What kind of rock is it?

Different types of textures break/cut differently. A chisel and small hammer can be used if you go slow and work it. Larger rock an angle grinder works or any saw with a diamond blade.

Doesn't matter what kind of rock it is. I use several tools.....a chop saw, a circular saw or a tile saw or even my dremel. All with masonry or tile cutting blades in them. It just depends on how big of a piece I need to cut.

Dusk mask!

I kinda like a handheld grinder and a couple of cheap masonry blades, outside of course.

As you can tell, there is more then one way to skin a cat.

Sewer Urchin;1072370 wrote: Dusk mask!

I kinda like a handheld grinder and a couple of cheap masonry blades, outside of course.

+1

Whatever you have on hand that cuts rock... The cleaner the better!

Sewer Urchin;1072370 wrote: Dusk mask!

Yep...used one of these too.

jd22;1072354 wrote: What is the best tool for cutting dry rock? I'm looking to shape some larger rocks into better looking/smaller pieces.

i have my kids take the boulders out in to the cul de sac and tell em to go at it. Makes for stuff they can break and you get some unique looking pieces.

Child labor at it's finest.

I used a miter saw with a masonry blade on it for mine. Do it outside and wear a dust mask! And don't forget to close the garage and widows or everything will have a nice coat of dust on it.

1. no matter what you do the rock will never break or cut the way you really want it to.
2. Hammer and a screw driver are the best tools to reshape rocks
3. Tile saws or grinders will work too but very slowly.

best tool i have to cut dry rock is one of those hand held tools made by Rockwell with the oscillating blade.

good stuff

Depends on the rock, the BRS reef saver or Marco I use a hammer and chisel, I like Pukani because you can use a hack saw or standard wood saw blade to flat side and carve away with ease.

Back