Cutting frag plugs

jcusmarine

Supporting
Reaction score
Looking for some advice. Now that I have my tank dialed in I going to start 'de-plugging'....

Anyone know a good tool for cutting clean through ORA plugs and the like? Or should I be looking to remove the corals from the plug? I have a lot, so l'm looking for a tried and tested quick & clean way to get it done.....

Thanks!!

Me too... following with interest. I was told to break the stem off by hand; apparently I'm a weakling.

cr500_af;359048 wrote: Me too... following with interest. I was told to break the stem off by hand; apparently I'm a weakling.

l'm with ya. I really want to find a more accurate and quick way to do this....I don't have a dremel, and don't really want to use one. I figured someone might have a better way.

I just leave mine attached...I have a monti that was on a plug now it is no where to be found

jeep9783;359052 wrote: I just leave mine attached...I have a monti that was on a plug now it is no where to be found

That is what I have done for the past number of years, but I want to remove them this time.....

Same here... and I'm rapidly running out of holes in the rock to put them in. I don't like wedging them between rocks because they always get knocked over.

I personally don't like the plugs. I'd rather just tear em off. But I don't wanna just tear the coral, I'd rather give it a clean cut, so it doesn't hurt the coral!

JennM;359058 wrote: We use Taam Coral Clippers. I carry them too :)

Jenn

Are they like bonecutters? And, have you had experience using something less purpose-built, like something a very well-stocked toolbox might contain?

I use heavy wire cutters to cut off the stems rather than coral clippers because I don't want to take a chance on damaging or dulling the clippers. I use the clippers a lot just not for plugs or rocks. Depending on the type of coral I sometimes just use a razor blade to remove it from the plug and then glue it directly onto the rock in the tank. Or if it is a coral that is already attached to a small piece of rock that is then glued to a plug, I use a screwdriver to remove the rock and coral and then glue the rock in place in the tank.

Break the coral off at the base, glue it to a rock like you would the plug, let the plug heal and grow a bit, then trade it! Should be able to get good stuff for frags fully encrusted on the plug.

jcusmarine;359043 wrote: Looking for some advice. Now that I have my tank dialed in I going to start 'de-plugging'....

Anyone know a good tool for cutting clean through ORA plugs and the like? Or should I be looking to remove the corals from the plug? I have a lot, so l'm looking for a tried and tested quick & clean way to get it done.....

Thanks!!
I cut the plug flush with a Dremel.

Back