Cyano on rock and sand

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start work on the fish only tank at my church, and am looking for opinions on how I should handle the cyano problem in the tank.

The tank is not in very good shape now, the rocks and sand have cyano all over. The person maintaining the tank doesn't know much about the hobby, and is not using the skimmer.

My idea is to remove the two fish and bring home to my qt, remove rock and sand. I am thinking that bleaching the rock would kill the cyano, and just discard the sand, and add fresh sand. I figure trying to medicate the tank and/or use one of those cyano pads.
Thoughts?

Genesis;1066680 wrote: Chemi clean it a great product

+1
luke,
if your planning on breakig down the tank just to deal with cyno I think you can get away with just a treatment instead.
poor water quality and flow more than likely been the cause, I've used chemi clean several time with 24-48 total success, then water change and wouldn't be a bad idea to get a skimmer installed.
the good thing with this treatment, you don't have to remove the fish.

Isn't there an invert risk with Chemi Clean? My 30 gallon has a minor cyano problem. I just took it off the canister filter and installed a bio pellet reactor and skimmer. I was worried about trying anything more drastic.

I would do chemiclean, but we will be replacing the sump, and will probably need to remove the tank. Bleaching the rock just seems the easiest most cost effective option.

Catgirl29;1066712 wrote: Isn't there an invert risk with Chemi Clean? My 30 gallon has a minor cyano problem. I just took it off the canister filter and installed a bio pellet reactor and skimmer. I was worried about trying anything more drastic.

if their is a risk with verts, I never experience an issue of any kind and or lost any to chemi clean, not saying anyone else might not have.

LSU_fishFan;1066715 wrote: I would do chemiclean, but we will be replacing the sump, and will probably need to remove the tank. Bleaching the rock just seems the easiest most cost effective option.

sounds like over kill for just cyano.
cyano can just be blown off the rocks and if your taking it out anyway, you can just pressure wash them and wouldn't have to go through the bleach process and save some time.

Catgirl29;1066712 wrote: Isn't there an invert risk with Chemi Clean? My 30 gallon has a minor cyano problem. I just took it off the canister filter and installed a bio pellet reactor and skimmer. I was worried about trying anything more drastic.

No issue at all. I've used it twice with great results. Just beware the skimmer will go nuts!

MYREEFCLUB0070;1066724 wrote: sounds like over kill for just cyano.
cyano can just be blown off the rocks and if your taking it out anyway, you can just pressure wash them and wouldn't have to go through the bleach process and save some time.

I feel I like bleaching the rock would brighten the tank some. The rock is a very dark color, and since the tank isn't a reef, the lighting isn't as bright.

I just used some Chemi-Clean on my 90 FOWLR a few days ago, and it works GREAT. Except....

Now how do I remove the very large coating of dead</em> cyano on my rocks?

If you bleach the rock, what do you have left for biological filtration?

Never understood the notion of bleaching the rock. That's your life-support system.

"White" isn't a normal colour in a tank for rocks. Ugly, IMO.

Just scrub the cyano off the rock in the waste-water from a water change, and put it back. Vacuum the sand really well. Make sure the chemistry is in balance.

You may have to do that a couple or three times til it's in check - but that's life :)

If you really want to go chemical route, use Ultralife Red Slime Remover. Works the same way as Chemiclean but not nearly as volatile, and more forgiving.

Jenn

Hi Luke
Have u check the nitrate and phosphate level? Get to the source first before fixing it.how about your top off water? Anything died in the tank ? Skimmer been clean regularly ( working like it should be)? Feeding habit? Water flow in the tank? ...

Back