Cyano outbreak from low Mg?

lmm1967

Reaction score
If anyone is currently dealing with a cyano outbreak would you mind telling me if your Mg is lower than normal?

I don't currently have an outbreak and I do dose aminos twice a week in 2 of our tanks.

anecdotal evidence for both myself and at least a couple others seem to indicate that low Mg levels may help Cyano go on a growth craze.

So much so that a R2R user had a blanket of cyano in his tank. Mg levels were below 1200 - within an hour of Mg levels being increased the cyano start lifting off the surfaces with no other (apparent) changes.

I've also seen a build up of cyano in conjuction with whitening of coralline algae - again - during a period of low Mg.

I'm just looking to hear anyone else that may be currently, or have previously, experienced something similar.

I have small patches of cyano on whitening due to coral wars. I just blow it off. I keep my Mg at 1440-1450.

In my personal opinion, cyano and Mg has nothing to do with each other. Having Cyano means you have excessive Phosphate in your tank.

Just reduce your feeding or use a small amount of carbon dosing will solve the problem.

I used to have a lot of Cyano, but my tank is now sparkling clean. All I did were reducing feeding intensity and clean up the sand bed.

Back