Cycle completed??

bkostuch

Market
Reaction score
I think my cycle has been complete for a few days now since ammonia and nitrites are both showing 0. Diatoms came and went.... Now are back like it was middle of the cycle. Nitrates are less than 5 without a water change.

Is the reoccurring diatoms normal? I did stir up the sand playing with my powerhead. Full CUC time?

Tank readings are

Ph 8.1
Ammonia 0
Nitrite >.25
Nitrate 5
Salinity 1.025

Thanks!!

I feel like I am full on cycle again. tank levels are very stable and right on par. I have extremely fine sand, is this going to be an on going issue with the sand getting moved around. Should I be testing for something other than the standard PH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite?

You could test for silicates, I am just not sure what to do about it. I think you are running a filter sock.

Patience is the only tip I have at the moment.

Are you still at 0 ammonia and nitrite?

Yup, Filter socks, gonna change that out in the next couple days. How long do they last? And tank parameters as of last nights tests -

PH - 8.1
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - .25 (might be lower here, slightly in between)
Nitrate - 0
Salinity - 1.025

JBDreefs;1037140 wrote: You could test for silicates, I am just not sure what to do about it. I think you are running a filter sock.

Patience is the only tip I have at the moment.

Are you still at 0 ammonia and nitrite?

Agree. There is one thing you can do to get rid of the silicates. Let the diatoms consume them. :)

It will go away soon. Be patient. Than the hair algae will start. That too will go away as the tank matures. And the bubble algae and the..... Yes, seasoned tanks can also get all of the above if not maintained properly but almost all new tanks, no matter the maintenance will go thru some if not all of these outbreaks.

rdnelson99;1037146 wrote: Agree. There is one thing you can do to get rid of the silicates. Let the diatoms consume them. :)

It will go away soon. Be patient. Than the hair algae will start. That too will go away as the tank matures. And the bubble algae and the..... Yes, seasoned tanks can also get all of the above if not maintained properly but almost all new tanks, no matter the maintenance will go thru some if not all of these outbreaks.

nailed it.
give it all the light that it can to grow and then siphon it out. diatoms do NOT need any silicates to grow. this is a misnomer because of their silicate shell they produce. Dont believe me? do a lights out for a week to prevent diatom growth and test for silicates. then turn it back on if it is 0. business as usual.

anyway... let them consume whatever nutrients they need and keep lights on so that you can siphon whatever the missing link is out via diatom deaths.

Russ-IV;1037150 wrote: nailed it.
give it all the light that it can to grow and then siphon it out. diatoms do NOT need any silicates to grow. this is a misnomer because of their silicate shell they produce. Dont believe me? do a lights out for a week to prevent diatom growth and test for silicates. then turn it back on if it is 0. business as usual.

anyway... let them consume whatever nutrients they need and keep lights on so that you can siphon whatever the missing link is out via diatom deaths.

You could be correct however I have read articles that say otherwise. But of course they could be wrong. But either way, letting it run its course is the best solution.

Thanks guys, so siphon out the nasty brown or just let it die off.... hmm. Wife says siphon, I say let it stay the course and die out again on its own.

If you don't mind wasting money on salt siphon away. But if you choose not to siphon it will go away.

+1 on CUC. My Astrea and Cerith snails mowed the diatoms down. You will literally see the pristine trails they leave

Back