Cycling a new tank from dry rock for an old salt

OxReef

Reaction score
As I’m planning aquascaping for my 65G curious what is out there for seeding new tanks-since the last time I started a tank was with live rock or seeding dry rock from existing (I think the rubble in my 13G nano will need some help in a 65g).

I realize there’s no shortcuts just wanting to start off right with a clean tank which reminds me of one of my other old hobbies homebrewing but that’s a separate topic lol.

I’ve heard good things about this https://www.algaebarn.com/shop/live-foods/combo-packs/ultimate-ecopack/ as a start with pods coming later but wanted to check here as well. I’m planning some arag alive substrate which will help but want to do what I can to help from the start. Not planning on lights short of moonlights on the tank for cycling if I can resist the urge. :)

Also in case anyone searches for cycle this should come up (admittedly I only searched in this sub forum :)).

Thanks!!

ox aka Will

I'm doing the same thing right now with a 20g. I used dry rock/sand and just added water. One of the larger rocks I specifically left dirty from a previous tank so there would be some biological material to break down and threw in some Instant Ocean Bio-Spira for the nitrifying bacteria. I'll be throwing in a bit of food every once in a while to keep things going but that's about all I plan on doing. I know that Dr. Tim's has a lot of different bacteria products along with some ammonia additives so you can have a fishless cycle but I haven't personally used any of their stuff.

My 2cents is algae barn is way too expensive for what it is. That said we are talking small change here, anything under $100 is a rounding error in this hobby, and if you plan to absolutely QT the hell out of everything going forward then spring for algae-barn. I know for me while I'm not reckless I'm also sure I'm not running every single coral and fish through full blown QT protocols and saw the source of macro and pods as pretty low risk. Provided it wasn't from an ich and aiptasia infected hobbyist system. Ultimately I split orders between reefcleaners and live-plants for pods, macro, and CUC.

You are taking advice from the guy that decided to punch out of the fish in clean/dry rock cycle approach and bought a few pounds of florida rock instead though so take all of the above with that in mind.

I did have Dr. Tim's on the shelf as I anticipated doing the dry start at first. I dumped it in with the live rock and feel it helped the cycle go quicker but also have zero empirical data.

If you want to do the preemptive vibrant dosing BRS style I also have that collecting dust.

My 2cents is algae barn is way too expensive for what it is. That said we are talking small change here, anything under $100 is a rounding error in this hobby, and if you plan to absolutely QT the hell out of everything going forward then spring for algae-barn. I know for me while I'm not reckless I'm also sure I'm not running every single coral and fish through full blown QT protocols and saw the source of macro and pods as pretty low risk. Provided it wasn't from an ich and aiptasia infected hobbyist system. Ultimately I split orders between reefcleaners and live-plants for pods, macro, and CUC.

You are taking advice from the guy that decided to punch out of the fish in clean/dry rock cycle approach and bought a few pounds of florida rock instead though so take all of the above with that in mind.

I did have Dr. Tim's on the shelf as I anticipated doing the dry start at first. I dumped it in with the live rock and feel it helped the cycle go quicker but also have zero empirical data.

If you want to do the preemptive vibrant dosing BRS style I also have that collecting dust.

Thanks-I’m in a similar boat as you it sounds. Agreed Re Algae barn price too!

Back