Cycling new tank with tap water

Rickdareefa

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey guys just curious. Got a new 75 gallon tank today. Don't have that much RODI water on hand. Gonna start with declorinated tap water just to get things moving. Any tips as far as water changes during or after cycling as I'm able to get the good stuff mixed up?

My tip would be don't use tap water. Nothing in this hobby happens fast. You're already susceptible to algae blooms early on. Using a poor water source is setting yourself up for failure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You can use tap water to set up a new tank. Mostly you just need to remember to use a dechloronator.

However, the largest downside to this is that there will be lots of nutrients still in the water. This means stronger initial algae growth.

My advice. Go for it and use tap water if you want it up and running. Throw in your live rock, live sand, and/or bacteria after you dechloronate it. Let it cycle for a while; keep the temperature good; and then do large water changes with RODI to help export those nutrients. It’s easier to do large WCs before you load it up with fish, Corals, and CUCs. Personally, in emergencies, I’ve done 50% WCs dozens upon dozens times with no ill effects to help manage disasters in my friends tanks. But even 30% will go a huge way! (Most people will freak out at 50%). Regardless, warm up your new water when doing those WCs.

Otherwise; I agree completely with pops! Patience is a virtue, especially in this hobby. If you’re able to wait; then doing so will pay you back tenfold.

I would only start a tank with the same quality water that will be used to sustain it. In the long run I think it is the best way. Tho its up to you. Tap water may work while the tank matures but i believe it will lead to lots of problems

Hey guys just curious. Got a new 75 gallon tank today. Don't have that much RODI water on hand. Gonna start with declorinated tap water just to get things moving. Any tips as far as water changes during or after cycling as I'm able to get the good stuff mixed up?
Hey Rick, I have a RODI setup. I can make some water for you since you are down the street from me. But I only have a 20gal collection trash bin.

If you plan to maintain a 75 gallon reef, it would be very wise to purchase a RODI water filter system. Even with just bi-weekly water changes of 15% the hassle of getting water will be daunting.

I have an RODI just don't have any made. I filled the tank with tap water cuz I bought the tank used and wanted to fill immediately to make sure there were no leaks. I'm gonna start making to ro water tomorrow. Just wanted to know if anyone has cycled with tap then just did a 100 % water change. I live in a condo and don't have the luxury of being able to leave my RODI hooked with a water mixing station due to space.

I have an RODI just don't have any made. I filled the tank with tap water cuz I bought the tank used and wanted to fill immediately to make sure there were no leaks. I'm gonna start making to ro water tomorrow. Just wanted to know if anyone has cycled with tap then just did a 100 % water change. I live in a condo and don't have the luxury of being able to leave my RODI hooked with a water mixing station due to space.
Wow, curious as to what is in store for this tank. I would certainly wait the day or two to make 75 gallons of rodi knowing all the problems that come with new tank syndrome, including algae, diatoms, cyano, etc, etc. They all could be better managed without the addition of the nutrients in tap water. Problems will come, either way, I just think they could be so much less severe with the patience to wait a day or two in the beginning, achieving a nice tank much sooner by doing so.

Not sure where you’re located; but if you want to bring some empty buckets, you can steal some of my RODI to help set up your new system.

Maybe between me and other guys, you can piecemeal your initial volume together.

Hey. Don’t use tap. Ever. I know it’s a hassle, but it’s worth it. Keep in mind that as things evaporate everything else is left behind. If you continue using unclean water like tap it just leaves more and more behind the more than evap you have to replace.
You don’t want things starting off that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also wouldn't use the tap water. Starting with a ton of nutrients in the water will only lead to problems like algae / cyanobacteria blooms. You're going to need RO/DI water eventually, so why skip it now?

Nothing to look at yet putting light on the tank this weekend. Cycle is finished. There's been a chromis in it for a week ran some Chaeto in the sump with a light to help absorb some possible nutrients. Ill update with a pic next week after lights have been running.

Cool. Just curious did you end up using tap water. Not that is right or wrong just curious which route you took. Keep us informed of the progress.

How's it going? Hopefully no algae bloom (other than the normal diatom bloom from cycling the tank)!

Back