Cycling Question

dapperjman

Market
Reaction score
So I was reading today and saw where someone said you could raise the temperature of your tank during the cycling process in order to speed up the reproduction of bacteria. I've never thought about it, but it makes sense. I'm not sure if it can significantly decrease cycling time, but I was curious if anyone else had researched this before or experimented with it.

In the end I realize that patience is best, but I'm just wondering how much truth there is to it. I would also think this would only be possible using a fishless cycle.

it actually works well, but I wouldn't get above 83.
algae and diatoms will rapidly be seen in a few days and when your done you would have to slowly go back down to your desired temp.
high temp. puts everything into over drive.

myreefclub0070;1060239 wrote: it actually works well, but i wouldn't get above 83.
Algae and diatoms will rapidly be seen in a few days and when your done you would have to slowly go back down to your desired temp.
High temp. Puts everything into over drive.

+1

If you do it, the key is when reversing the temp to take the same amount of time going down as you did going up. In other words, it you took 24 hours to get to 83, you have to take at least 24 hours to come back down to 79 (or whatever your target temp is).

porpoiseaquatics;1060275 wrote: If you do it, the key is when reversing the temp to take the same amount of time going down as you did going up. In other words, it you took 24 hours to get to 83, you have to take at least 24 hours to come back down to 79 (or whatever your target temp is).

+1 smart addition

I will be doing the 83 degree temp when we set the tanks up at the new house, I will try to keep a record of what I do to see if I can do better than my last tanks (I had them at 81 degrees). I have always used the good bacteria products and tested about every three days. I also have a new bottle of ammonia. Hope this will shorten the cycling, I would love to have a 3-4 week cycle instead of a 5-6 week cycle.:yes:

Back