Cycling Tank and there is cyano in sump?

saltyvixen

Market
Reaction score
I never had a cyano bloom during a cycle before. But i've also never had a sump before. Is this normal or typical during the cycling process? Like the diatom bloom. There is none in the DT. Or is it the light i have down there? Should i worry about it getting in the DT and any advice is greatly appreciated

I have never head it in my sump before, but if any of it comes loose and make it into your return pump, you will have a full on break out. If the tank is cycling, I would chemi clean the crap out of it, turn that light off and let that run. Unless you have something in your sump that needs light, it's just going to grow algae in the mean time.

RyanSG1986;953509 wrote: I have never head it in my sump before, but if any of it comes loose and make it into your return pump, you will have a full on break out. If the tank is cycling, I would chemi clean the crap out of it, turn that light off and let that run. Unless you have something in your sump that needs light, it's just going to grow algae in the mean time.

Some macro algae and there are some zoas down there on the live rock. will chemi clean hurt the cycle?

RyanSG1986;953509 wrote: but if any of it comes loose and make it into your return pump, you will have a full on break out.

This is simply not true. Cyano bacteria isn't something that's spreads from one 'piece' to another... it's a function of resource availability in the water.

Perhaps if you shed some light on your cycling plan, we can figure this out together.

McPhock;953511 wrote: This is simply not true. Cyano bacteria isn't something that's spreads from one 'piece' to another... it's a function of resource availability in the water.

Perhaps if you shed some light on your cycling plan, we can figure this out together.

Sorry, what do you mean by cycling plan?

How are you doing it? If you already have liverock in the tank, which I'm guessing you do if you're putting in coral, then the hard part of the cycle is already complete.

Then, I'm assuming you just want to seed the remainder of the rock with bacteria from the original piece of liverock.

If all that is true, why is the live rock in the sump?

I started the cycle with biosphira and "fed" the tank daily. After two weeks of that i added 4 black mollies. Im just adding rock to the sump because i was waiting to get algae issues under control in my main tank that i'll be tranferring from. The rock is a mix of dried rock and live rock from my main tank. The cyano was there before adding rock. Its in my sump because im using Vidarock for the DT and oi havent got it yet. I didnt intentionally add the zoas, they had just spread to the rock i wanted to use.

Sounds pretty good so far. Cyano is not an uncommon part of the settling in of a new tank, much like a diatom bloom. I wouldn't do much beyond manual removal at this point.

McPhock;953517 wrote: Sounds pretty good so far. Cyano is not an uncommon part of the settling in of a new tank, much like a diatom bloom. I wouldn't do much beyond manual removal at this point.

Should i put a molly in the sump to eat the cyano, i read somewhere that they will eat it

Well, two things:

1) I do not know of any animal that consumes cyano with regularity. It would be much easier to cure if there was one.
2) Unless it could get sucked up in the return, what's the harm? You dont need to ask me about that :)

McPhock;953519 wrote: Well, two things:

1) I do not know of any animal that consumes cyano with regularity. It would be much easier to cure if there was one.
2) Unless it could get sucked up in the return, what's the harm? You dont need to ask me about that :)

Lol nah it cant get to the return compartment if i do puy it down there

Back