Cycling without fish

geno

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">I'm getting very close to setting everything up (125g.) The wait has been torture -- but it has allowed me time to visit with Cameron and talk with Big D -- both have been most helpful. Thanks, guys!:up: </span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">Since I will need to cycle my tank (and have decided to do it without fish) can it be done with either of the methods below and do you recommend one over the other (assuming they will both work).</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"></span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">1. Use live rock (maybe from Sal -- if he has some in his new store)</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">2. Install base rock now (add some Live later) and use a few bags of live sand along with aragonite sand</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">As always, I'm grateful for your advice.</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: 13px;">-geno</span></span>

Cycling can easily be done without fish (in saltwater anyway). Cycling is really just a process of establishing bacteria. Get some live rock from sals (he has plenty right now) and mix it with base rock or at his prices just buy what you need and you should be good to go. The die off from the live rock will be enough to cycle a tank. Once the big ammonia spikes are gone, look at adding a cleanup crew and feeding them. If no more spikes pop up, add some fish. I personally wouldn't add fish until the tank had finished cycling.

A nice long fish-free cycle time will also allow populations such as pods to take root without immediately being scarfed up by fish.

My next tank will probably have at least a 2-3 month period of essentially being a refugium.

I appreciate you guys taking time to comment.

I realize my posts are not the more popular nor the most interesting -- so, I'm all the more appreciative for your input.

How do I reach Sal?

-geno

I am cycling right now with no fish. If you can, get someone near you to give you some used water. You can mix that with new water and it would cycle faster.

Sals ARC name is 'horsesziggy'. You can also catch him at Saltwater City in Kenissaw (sp?)

I'm going with base rock mixed with some live rock and 'base' sand mixed with some live sand in my next tank.

geno;136964 wrote: I appreciate you guys taking time to comment.

I realize my posts are not the more popular nor the most interesting -- so, I'm all the more appreciative for your input.

How do I reach Sal?

-geno

Good point...you can have some water frome me on my next water change if you like...I'm on exit 12. I typically change 5-10g every few weeks and am probably due.

purpleGORILLA;136979 wrote: I am cycling right now with no fish. If you can, get someone near you to give you some used water. You can mix that with new water and it would cycle faster.

LorenK,

Thanks for the posts -- it's good to know that my idea of using base rock with LR and Live Sand is not crazy -- especially if you are planning that same approach for your next tank. This will be my first reef tank -- ever!

I may not be ready for your offer before your next water change -- but, perhaps the one after that.

It sounds as though Sal is open for business -- I don't know him, but everyone on the board sure speaks highly of him. I'm anxious to visit his new place.

-geno

The GA Aquarium estimated the amount of ammonia the livestock would produce and then added that amount to the water column. I couldn't tell you how to do that, though.

Take into the account the rate that you'd like to add fish to the aquarium, also. If you're planning on adding many at once because of possible aggression and territory issues, you may want to do something to raise the ammonia level (such as dumping some food in there) to produce a large colony of bateria to handle a heavier load. Just wait until the NH3 and NO2 spikes have subsided before adding fish. This method may leave you with a higher initial NO3 level, however.

If you're adding fish at a low pace, you're probably fine to add a fish or two once you've added live rock and live sand. There will be plenty of bacteria already present to handle the load of one or two fish.

Sal's about one of the nicest guys you can meet.

Back