Daily temp swings of 2 degrees....worry?

gnashty

Market
Reaction score
Title says it all - I have 2 degree temp swings daily for several months. Only way I know to keep it more stable is to add a chiller which i want to stay away from right now....tank inhabitants are happy and thriving. Does anyone else experience this and what do you do about it? any long term effects?

imho, 2 degrees isn't an issue............even more. I think mine swing about 3-4, fwiw.

well that makes me feel much better....in the summer it was swinging 4 degrees daily.

I would think in the natural environment the water would heat and cool much more than that. don't know for sure but it seems that it would

Mines 3-4......during the summer it was 5-6....and my tank us doing great.....except for my recent flatworms....stupid little buggers!!!!....at least it's not many

Nah...2 degrees is fine...up to 6 is acceptable from what I've read.

If you're truly worried, get a controller and put the margin to 0.0 and you won't have any swings...or very minimal

I recommend the Reef Keeper Light. Great controller/setup for under $100, although the manuel is pretty bad

I've got the 2-3 degree swing working in the summer and am glad to see I'm not the only one. In the winter it's steady because we keep the house pretty cool and I run T5s. I never asked how good or bad it was because everything is doing great. Plus, the notion of a chiller gives me chills. There are so many cool things I could spend my money on for the cost of one of those.

As long as your heater doesn't go haywire or your home AC goes out for a LONG period of time, a chiller isn't worth it IMO.

Of course you get a controller and there's no need for a chiller :)

Gary mine does as much as yours and I do not have any problems either so I think your fine.

CockyBrock;577932 wrote: Nah...2 degrees is fine...up to 6 is acceptable from what I've read.

If you're truly worried, get a controller and put the margin to 0.0 and you won't have any swings...or very minimal

I run the RKE w/Net already and use 2 400w heaters in the sump. The swing is caused by the T-5's. the rise starts when they come on. I have 3 fans in the canopy and a large sump fan below. I have no doubt that without the fans the temp would go much higher...

Question more than a statement, But wouldn't the temp of ocean water in a shallow reef tend to swing from day to night? I realize that it is not easy to change the temp of the ocean, but still...

Gary,

I am at 3-4 degree swing currently due to the Halide. LEDs arrive tomorrow, hopefully minimal swing after that, shooting for 1-2. I'll let you know though.

Im glad to see that Im not the only one who has daily swings, but I always see threads and read about the importance of "stability" in terms of temp, PH, SG etc...not too concerned about a high PH or a low PH or SG or whatever but a constant number vs a swing.

I was getting real close to looking at chillers to maintain this "stable/constant" number. whew...I just saved $500!!!

thbrewst;578231 wrote: Question more than a statement, But wouldn't the temp of ocean water in a shallow reef tend to swing from day to night? I realize that it is not easy to change the temp of the ocean, but still...

The ocean has some crazy temp fluctuations, much like micro-climates which can roll in or out on a wave. 2 deg is nothing IMHO (as others mention)

Back